cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NOW broadband speed test right?

I've done technical checks and Now says my download speed is 70.6mb. I've tried several other speed checkers and all come out around 27mb download. Why would the NOW figure be so much higher, am i missing something?

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

i find using different internet speed checkers for me are all over the place with various different result figures.

i tend to use the Netflix App on my streaming devices and smart TV under the Help section / check my Network which seems to give me stable results.

The Netflix App only gives you a download speed measured at the device with the Netflix App on it.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Are these results wired, wireless, or both?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm hard wired to the Router with Cat 7 cable and Gigabit switches

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Query fast.com in your browser when there is as little as possible other traffic going over your router,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Just tried it and speedtest and both now showing 66Mb download and 20Mb upload so thats what i expected. Probably something to do with time of day when i got the last result though still wierd that Now was showing 70MB download

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Probably something to do with time of day when i got the last result though still wierd that Now was showing 70MB download

Not really, as I said before, that is your sync speed. If there is some form of congestion/contention on the line the download will be slowed, but sync will always stay the same.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I will give Netflix a go and see what it says.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The speed Now quote is your sync speed, i.e. the speed the router connects to the cabinet at.

Speed checkers tell you the speed data passes from their site to the device you are running the speed test on. I find speedtest.net is usually quite accurate.

The max download speed you can get is going to be approximately 5-10% lower than the sync, in your case about 63Mbs.

But that assumes you have a perfect connection to the router, as you would if you were hard wired to it. Unfortunately if you are testing over Wi-Fi there a number of reasons why the connection may be less than perfect.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm hard wired. I've not tried WiFi but it will be lower. Its just strange how 3 separate speed checkes come out around 30MBish yet Now says 70mb?