cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet does not work on extension socket

Hi,

I have moved home and my new place has the master socket on an odd place. It's right beside the front door and has no power sockets close by, I would have to run a wire through the main hall to reach any device there. I want to connect my Hub on my living room where I have an extension socket. I tried to connect via a Microfilter but the Hub does not get any internet (no green light for internet).

Why could this be and how can I fix this issue? Do I need to have an OpenReach engineer here to relocate the master socket?

Thank you, any help is welcomed.

5 REPLIES 5
Jayach
Elite 3

Possibly the Master socket is pre-filtered. If so it will have two connections, one for phone and one for DSL.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes the master socket is pre-filtered. What does this mean? That broadband won't work in any of the other sockets?

Is there a workaround?

Jayach
Elite 3

As @chilli2 says a longer DSL cable is the easiest solution. (make sure it is a DSL cable, not just any only old cable with RJ11 ends)

You could look into getting the Master socket relocated, but Openreach no longer seem to want to do such jobs, (they are too busy with the FTTP roll out) so you would probably need to find a local person to do it.

chilli2
Elite

The easist workaround would be a longer RJ11 lead to go from the filtered mastersocket to the modem/router location

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User My setup is similar to yours, master socket and router (Not a Now one) by the front door with no nearby power sockets.

I have an ethernet cable running from the router to the front room, so I created a POE setup to power the router. However the router doesn’t support POE, so with the injector in the front room and a POE splitter tucked behind the router feeding 12 V power to the router and data into one of the ethernet ports, it works flawlessly.

POE injectors and splitters are quite cheap. Just make sure that the splitter can deliver the required voltage  and amperage.

Hope this helps.