cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan223
Mentor

Internet connection drops

As of recently my internet connection seems to drop every few days. By drops I mean the actual connection goes down (not WiFi) see router logs below, I’ve removed the mac/IP etc. There seemed to be an few hours outage a few weeks ago in the area in the early morning, which affected someone else I know with sky on the same exchange. Since then my internet connection seems to drop every few days. This connection has otherwise been pretty stable for many years. Since it isn’t a problem right now I don’t see anyway to raise this directly with now.

Jan 23 15:41:48 syslog: [954506.101000] Line 0: VDSL2 link down
Jan 23 15:41:50 syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN.
Jan 23 15:41:50 syslog: [954508.248000] Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
Jan 23 15:42:05 syslog: [954523.254000] Line 0: VDSL G.993 started
Jan 23 15:42:18 syslog: [954535.674000] Line 0: VDSL2 link up, Bearer 0, us=19999, ds=79999
Jan 23 15:42:18 syslog: [954535.679000] Line 0: VDSL2 link up, Bearer 1, us=0, ds=0
Jan 23 15:43:05 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link UP.
Jan 23 15:43:05 syslog: Received valid DHCP lease from server. Connection UP.
Jan 23 15:43:05 syslog: Connection Up. SNO/MAC/IP/SWVER: [XXX]
Jan 23 15:43:06 syslog: VCOP agent started.

19 Replies
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dan223 

Give the broadband a call to get it sorted.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

How to submit your complaint:

• Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.

Sorry for not being much help as I’m a customer like you and don’t have broadband with NOW.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AP95
Mentor

ThanK you, will give it a try when I have a moment.

BenD
Scholar

I've had the same issue, although mine drops multiple times per hour, since 6 December 2021. 8 OpenReach engineers out to do various things but none of them so far can find the issue. We've tried 3 Now TV Hubs too and no solution. It's actually unbelievable...

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BenD 

Might not be an issue with your line, but an issue further afield? 

Keep pestering support until its resolved.

dan223
Mentor

Unfortunately these things seem to be very hard to troubleshoot as it isn't a constantly down, and if you are the only one experiencing it.

Mines been up nearly 5 days in a row now without a drop, I spoke to Now, they raised it with the "network team", not sure if anything has been done, they are suppose to get back to me today.

BenD
Scholar

@dan223 so we had a 9th engineer visit today on a particularly bad day for drop outs. He saw critical errors on his handheld machine, but after testing all the lines found no errors as usual. He went to lunch and my internet dropped again, so he finally decided to do a "lift and shift" at the connection box down the road on to new "equipment"...after almost 8 weeks, i now have a steady connection, and no further drop outs or apeed reductions. Not holding my breath, but this is the best progress with my issue since 6 December 2021.

dan223
Mentor

Hopefully it’s sorted for you, this is the kind of fix I would have imagined for you, it’s a shame these sort of issues take so long to sort, ultimately not a now problem though.

RoyB
Legend

@dan223 

It’s sort-of a Now problem though, isn’t it?

If Now offered FTTP like most ISPs are now doing, subscribers wouldn’t have all this crap with the old antiquated OpenReach infrastructure they have no choice but to use as it is the only thing Now offers 😢

=========================================================================
Please bear in mind that generally we are all customers like you, and so can’t help with billing or other queries that only Now can answer. We can try to point you in the right direction though.
dan223
Mentor

True but then still likely to be openreach infra, though newer. And assumes you can actually get FTTP, (which I can’t)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

@dan223 

It’s sort-of a Now problem though, isn’t it?

If Now offered FTTP like most ISPs are now doing, subscribers wouldn’t have all this crap with the old antiquated OpenReach infrastructure they have no choice but to use as it is the only thing Now offers 😢

There are an awful lot of people who have no choice but to use FTTC, we are not expected to get FTTP for another 2 years, but the borough next to us already have it. Grrrr

AP95
Mentor

Interesting That yours doesn't do it all the time. Ours is daily. But yes since about December 21 like yourself. 

Will be leaving Nowtv once moved.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AP95 

Request an engineer visit and explain that the issue could be further up the line which is effecting your property.

This seems to be more prominent with posters these days.

alchemic

Same. It's a nightmare

MarkDG
Advocate

Same here. New to Now since beginning of Feb. Always happens in the morning, the afternoon seems more stable. Constant Now TV Hub Two telling me the connection has dropped and it goes through 'healing' which brings it back. Trying to work from home, this is a nightmare

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MarkDG 

Call the broadband team using the number in my below signature. 

If the fault isn't found in your property or line, its most likely a fault further afield.

michaelrose
Advocate

Same issue here. Started 3 weeks ago. At its worst the router was losing the connection to the internet (not wifi) every 10 minutes. It's a lot less now but still too many times to be happy with.

Support keep of rolling out the 'you have too many devices' connected which is BS as we all know they're not all using the bandwidth at the same time. Had engineer out, no problems found, replaced master socket. Still dropping the connection. Also removed the 'broadband buddy' which I never knew I had! Sky also suggested moving to the faster speed broadband but my suspicion is upload rather than download.

I do not know if I'm pushing too much traffic through the hub causing it to drop the connection? This seems unlikely given that when it dropped last it was only a video conf call and a bit of roblox gaming going on.

My gut feel is that there's a line stability problem but wondered if anyone has gotten to a successful conclusion regarding intermittent yet frequent disconnects?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@michaelrose 

Request another engineer visit, but get them to investigate the line feeding yours. 

Other posters are claiming that the fault has been outside of the line and further afield. 

dan223
Mentor

@michaelrose @Is the connection actually showing dropped in the router logs and the uptime? If so then yes complete BS about devices, even if you were using all the available bandwidth it shouldn’t cause the connection to drop.

Since I raised mine with now they said there was no issue but at the same time I haven’t had anymore drops, but mine were every few days so not as bad.

As others have mentioned worth getting them to check further down the line, it’s unlikely to be a problem at your property and probably in a cab or at the exchange.

BenD
Scholar

@michaelrose Check my previous comment out - I had an identical issue for almost 8 weeks. Although I only had max 4 devices connected. Engineers couldn't find any issues with the lines ever. Finally, a ninth OpenReach engineer performed a 'Lift & Shift' at the exchange box down the road onto new equipment and that has done the trick. Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to find this issue with their handheld machines when testing for issues.