cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cuneyt

Internet Speed ​​Problem

I am a NOW Broadband user and it provides internet up to 11 Mbps at the address I currently live in. My house number is 45, but all door numbers between 1-37 provide internet speed up to 100 Mbps and the houses are next to each other. I wonder why I am not provided with faster internet even though it is so close, and I could not reach any official regarding this issue. What can I do about this issue?

Thank you for your all help.

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Cuneyt 

Go outside and scout around for cabinets - big, probably green, things that say Openreach or BT on them.

Tell us where they are in relation to your house and to 1-37.

100 Mbps is a low FTTP Speed, but still faster than VDSL; so I would hazard a guess that they have GFast or something like it, but Openreach stopped short of your house when cabling for this.

Possibly for technical reasons, possibly for economic ones, but they will likely not want to tell you.

I wonder if you can make FOI requests to Openreach?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

As @RoyB says it does sound like they have G.fast available. But to be able to get that you need to be within about 500 meters of the cabinet,

As far as I know, now don't use Gfast, so do other suppliers offer you higher speeds?

11 MBs sounds like ADSL speeds (or VDSL a very long way from the cabinet).

To see what Openreach believe your connection capable of check here:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Then compare yours with the other addresses.

Unless you meant they can get 1000Mbs? If so full fibre is available in your area, but Now (for completely unfathomable reasons) don't use it.

Edit: Use this Ofcom checker to see just what is available to you.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/broadband-coverage