cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig1

Internet Connection Drops when it rains heavily

Does anyone know why my Internet Broadband connection drops like clockwork when it starts to rain heavily?  And if so how it can be rectified?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gaza
Mentor

Craig we are experiencing the same thing, when I rang the technical help, it just says some customers are experiencing some difficulties and engineers are working to rectify the problem or words to that effect!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Craig1 

Yes, water gets into the ducts carrying the copper cabling from your local cabinet to your home. An Openreach engineer once kindly let me see this for myself, and it is not pretty.

Water shorts out copper, but fibre does not have this problem, just one of the ways FTTP is about five times more reliable than FTTC.

Report the issue to Now Broadband, who will in turn pass it on to Openreach to rectify.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Gaza
Mentor

@RoyB I am a little confused. The laptop works fine, but all other devices states connected no internet, that's 2 mobiles and xbox. It's only allowing access to 1 device, the laptop I set the account up on. We're not using it for streaming, only apps, like facbook, tiktok, etc, although they seem to work on the mobiles but the browser and ebay, which goes through the browser not working and thought you could connect upto 6 devices, not streaming content. The xbox states no connection, I have rung the one of the helpline advisors and reset the router channel as recommended by them who have declared there is no issue with the line as they tested it for me. All of the above devices have worked fine for the last two months with no problems, and it all started this morning. I paid the bill today; do they restrict service until payments have been confirmed and processed? My accounts state my bill has been paid. Thanks for your help!!

RoyB
Legend

@Gaza 

The confusion is caused by mixed issues here.

Those with water in their cable ducts will experience a general degradation or loss of their broadband service across the board,

The issue you have is the selective loss of connectivity to some devices and not to others, which Now have acknowledged as a problem they are aware of and are working to fix.

It looks like Now are knocking back some connections, selectively; this would happen if say, Now’s systems were erroneously deciding that all mobiles trying to connect were not UK models, and thus declining to allow those connections.

Note that I’m not saying this is the issue - I don’t know what the issue actually is - but the failure here is a different sort of failure from a water ingress failure, and any confusion here comes from trying to conflate these two quite different failure modes.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Gaza
Mentor

Craig we are experiencing the same thing, when I rang the technical help, it just says some customers are experiencing some difficulties and engineers are working to rectify the problem or words to that effect!

chilli2
Elite 2

Ive had this in the distant past, and managed to fix it by passing my ISP procedure and going straight to openreach .

If there is a genuine dangerous fault then you can direct report it to openreach online - something like a pole down or damaged, wires loose, street cabinet damaged or door open, manhole cover damaged/open etc

If openreach are carrying out works in your area then  you can also get lucky if you can talk to someone - ie if the fault coincided with the works.

You can also do a little visual fault finding yourself:

From the router work back:

are the cables plugged in correctly? Is there any signs of water at the router ( i know of someone whose TV aerial lead was allowing water to track into their TV)

Check the connection at the phone socket/mastersocket, again for any water getting in

Check where the cable enters the property, any nicks/damage to the cable ?

If you are on an underground feed then its a case of looking for the manhole covers and seeing if you can find your "street cabinet" - usually a green metal box with some doors on - these usually come in pairs  with an older one sometimes marked as GPO and a newer one

If you are on an overhead pole feed look at any connections, theres usualy a box at the top where you cable enters, on some poles there may be multiple boxes , are these OK ?

follow the cable down the pole - or to the next pole - at some point uit usually goes underground and from then on you may need to follow the manhole covers.

Manhole covers can be marked as ( newest to oldest)  Openreach. BT, British Telecom , Post office Telephones, Exchange Telegraph, GPO, PO and NTC/National Telephone Company

Gaza
Mentor

Thanks, we have had some downpours recently and most of my cables are rooted around my property, older building, which has wires connected to a junction box on the wall that then runs around the perimeter of my property and then towards next doors property. We have a Openreach/BT box across from that address where I often see an engineer working on lines that feed the streets landline/ broadband connection. I have only been in service with Now TV since March, prior to that I was with TalkTalk for ten years and had no issue ever!! So, a little dismayed this has happened after such a short period of time. I will see if this continues and if it does, I will report it to Openreach as it needs checking.