cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Intermittent loss of broadband

Hi,

I have had Now TV fibre broadband for over a year, generally without issues.

However, in the past couple of months, there have been times when our internet connection (on every device in the house) stops working briefly, before coming back on.  Looking at the connection on a laptop during these drop-outs, it says that we're still connected to the router, but that there is no internet connection.

I tried resetting the router, but the problems have continued intermittently.  I have also tried Now TV's online line check more than once, and each time it says there are no issues detected.

If there really are no issues with the line, I suspect the router is playing up and needs replacing...but how can this be resolved when there is no way at all to contact Now TV?

Thanks,

Ashley

17 REPLIES 17
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Did the intermittent loss of Broadband happen during the Covid-19 lockdown, where perhaps your local exchange is struggling to cope with the demand ?

I am guessing you tried pressing the reset button on the back of the Router for 10 seconds to see if there is any improvement ?

What i would be inclined to do is try the following on your Hub 2 Router.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

In my setup 2.4GHz wifi works better for me in my Home environment than 5GHz, where i have set all my devices  for 2.4GHz.

Also a few users have reported random wifi drop outs on their phones using the NowTV Hub 2 Router.

Where you could try accessing the Hub 2 Router webpage settings (following steps 1 & 2 above and instead of selecting the Maintenance Tab, select the Advanced Tab), then select the LAN IP Setup tab below it, then disable the IPV 6 on Lan side by unticking the box and clicking the green Apply Button towards the bottom of the screen.

The disable of the IPV6 over Lan seemed to help people who have reported wifi random dropouts on their phone and other devices using the NowTV Hub 2.

Apart from that phone the NowTV Broadband Team for further assistance & help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for your detailed reply!

Yes it's been during the lockdown - not sure whether that means it's the local exchange struggling or not, but I should at least be able to report this to Now TV for them to investigate (which I can't as they aren't contactable).

I have tried resetting the router, but the issues have continued since then.

I appreciate the suggestions of changing settings in the router, and I'll look into these, but it's worked absolutely fine on all our devices for over a year, and I shouldn't have to make these changes in order for normal service to be restored.  If it's a fault with the router, I should be able to request a replacement (which I can't).

You mention phoning the broadband team for help, but every place I go on the Now TV website, it says I can't contact them as their centres are closed - I may have missed something though.  Is there a phone number I should try?

Many thanks,

Ashley

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Only live chat is closed from my understanding due to Covid-19.

There is a telephone number for NowTV Broadband customers in a few places under your My Account section whilst logged in on here.

Go to My Account > Broadband & Calls and under the Moving Home section, keep clicking on it until a telephone number appears on your screen.

The Moving Home number is the same general number for all Broadband & Telephone enquiries.

I would expect a longer than usual waiting time due to Covid-19 effecting staff levels.

Or alternatively drop them an email shown on the screen shot below, again i don't know what their response reply would take due to Covid-19.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ashley what you've described is mine to a T.

Exact same as you've described it beutifily and it's so frustrating to say the least ,really annoying as yes someone should be available as to either send a knew router box out or send a tech out as there's loads bk in work now but most are still indoors (partial lockdown)it's essential that our broadband should be fixed as it's the connection for our everyday life as we live in an cyber world now ,it's effecting my already mental health.it's not nice every 3 mins it's going off then bk on 2 mins later ,were paying customers and should be looked after ,many thanks ,are and tht fixing issue what the lady sent is far to complex for me as I'm a little illiterate as in computer stuff ,thankyou.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also getting loss of internet/broadband every couple of weeks at different times. Really annoying and no one to complain too. Router lights stay green and on which makes me think routers are set up to indicate connection if connected or not!!       

Going to cancel now tv broadband

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi schnapps, I'm also having problems with the same issue, it's only really started within the last week when online gaming im getting constant lag and dropping out, I contacted Now BB but they told me there was no issue with the line, you seem to have good knowledge about the technical stuff as I haven't got a clue about it 😅 Would you have any idea how to fix it? for example does changing channel on the router make any difference or what is the best on the 2.4/5 gh? or is there any other changes I could try as Most other devices throughout the house seem to be working ok except for my Xbox one. Thanks in advance 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My IT & Networking knowledge is non existent to be honest, where i am an AV Guy.

I also have no first hand experience with the Xbox One or Gaming online to be honest.

Because you mentioned that other devices seem to be fine in your home, perhaps the problem lies with the Xbox online gaming ?

What i would try is some gaming online with your Xbox early hours in the morning when hopefully other gamers and internet users in the UK are not on line to see if it's a bandwidth problem whilst gaming on the Xbox servers.

Also if practically possible i would look at using an Ethernet connection with your Xbox rather relying on WiFi.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I appreciate that & I will give it a go, I just find it strange thought as it’s only started  last week It was flying before that. Thanks again 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You people at nowtv don't listen. I've had people in your techinical dep on the phone saying the same bull. The wireless is nothing to do with the ADSL drops and unsynching the bandwidths won't fix anything and you need to stop advising people with this nonsense. Your signal to noise ratios are garbage so you can boast amazing lightning speed blah blah. Turn the signal up and this wont happen - I mean I dunno what you are thinking having a 3dB SNR when your exchanges are miles away