cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomM
Advocate

IOT Devices Unavailability Issues

Hello!

I run Home Assistant and have ESP8266 devices as motion sensors/temperature sensors around the house. They use 2.4Ghz WiFi to connect to router and then internally on the LAN to the HA server. Every so often they will drop out and become 'unavailable' in Home Asssitant and I've managed to drill the problem down to the router (hub 2) somewhere. Previously, I used a Netgear Router which worked flawlessly for every device, but since moving to a region with limited Broadband Providers the only options were Sky or Now both of which don't allow 3rd party routers. I did orignally start using the Now router as the modem and then use the Netgear router as the router and LAN. This worked for a bit before the network speeds were too slow to work with and had to result to using the Now hub again.

All the IOT devices have static IP addresses (they wouldn't orignally show up in the 'Attached Devices' list) to try and determine whether it was a DHCP issue but to no avail. 

I just wish you could use your own router with Now/Sky because the quality for a more advanced application isn't great 😞

Just wondering if anyone has had any other similar issues or any advice.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Jayach
Elite 3

Where on earth are you that has only Now and Sky available? They both work over the Openreach network, so it seem unlikely that all the other providers aren't able to supply a service. You can use your own router with Now/Sky, there are many thread on here and on Sky how to do it. Some routers, ASUS and TP-Link particularly even have an option to do it.

What Netgear router do you have? Does it have a AP (Access Point) option as that will allow it to simply replace the Now routers Wi-Fi.