cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I need to talk to an human being!

Hello all.

We need advice regarding obtaining a 2nd hub for our home... we have two phone sockets (the same line and number) the hub is currently in the main phone socket, but the signal won't reach the other end of the bungalow, so we thought getting a 2nd hub for the phone socket at that end of the bungalow would sort the problem.... however, we have been attempting to contact someone for advice and cannot find a phone number anywhere on their website or talk to anyone via 'chat' for their help and advice. 

Has anyone any advice or a phone number to NOW Broadband ?

Please help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m afraid that wouldn’t work, for all sorts of reasons (the two would clash, Now wouldn’t know which one they were talking to, the phone socket at the other end of the bungalow is probably voice only)…. and a few other things I haven’t thought of, likely as not.

What you need is a mesh system, designed to plug in to your one router there, but spread the WiFi more generously. Though if one more WiFi point would do it, a wi-fi repeater might suffice; or a pair of PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors), where the far unit is WiFi enabled.

These connect over the mains, so you would have one by the router, linked to it by a short Ethernet cable and plugged into the mains, and the the WiFi one plugged into the mains wherever you were planning to put the second router.

Here’s the one I’d buy:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222011.html

Wifi, dual band, at the sweet spot on price.

I have a pair of the slightly earlier model that these have replaced, and they filled my office, at the end of the garden, with WiFi over the mains cable from the house, when the router back in the house couldn’t reach all the way down there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jayach
Elite 3

What you want isn't possible. You can only have one hub connected to a line. (no matter how many telephone sockets you have)

Try looking into powerline adapters, they may fulfill your requirements.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m afraid that wouldn’t work, for all sorts of reasons (the two would clash, Now wouldn’t know which one they were talking to, the phone socket at the other end of the bungalow is probably voice only)…. and a few other things I haven’t thought of, likely as not.

What you need is a mesh system, designed to plug in to your one router there, but spread the WiFi more generously. Though if one more WiFi point would do it, a wi-fi repeater might suffice; or a pair of PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors), where the far unit is WiFi enabled.

These connect over the mains, so you would have one by the router, linked to it by a short Ethernet cable and plugged into the mains, and the the WiFi one plugged into the mains wherever you were planning to put the second router.

Here’s the one I’d buy:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222011.html

Wifi, dual band, at the sweet spot on price.

I have a pair of the slightly earlier model that these have replaced, and they filled my office, at the end of the garden, with WiFi over the mains cable from the house, when the router back in the house couldn’t reach all the way down there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and help, I will give that a go and see what we can do. 

The repeater.... we tried that! all the correct lights were on when we set it up and then when we moved it to the socket in the hallway (not far from the hub) the signal light went from green to red!

So we'll try your other suggestion and use your link .

Really appreciate your help.... thank you again. 

chilli2
Elite

Looks like your issue is poor wifi

posted this on another thread on here, it may be of use:

Since the early days of Broadband and trying to deal with the alcatel frog ( anyone remember that) I have alway6s been of the opinion that ISP supplied kit by and large is fecal matter .

Some ISPs do supply good kit, but at the budget end of the market occupied by the likes of Now, Plus net, Talk Talk etc you shouldn't expect wondrous wifi or any other frills.

For most people the supplied kit will do the job ( just about) however there are a few things that you can do to get the most out of the wifi :

Download an android app called wifi analyzer and use this to see what wifi networks are in your areas as well as signal strengths etc

If your router supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi separate the bands - go to the router settings and you should be able to do this. 2.4 goes further but is a fraction slower although it will be more than fast enough for almost all things, 2.4 can also be more congested - pick a good channel and you should be fine. 5Ghz is a little faster and less congested, however speeds will slow down significantly the further you move away and where there are more objects in the way, sometimes if the bands are not separate a device may lock onto a 5Ghz signal when it would be better on 2.4.

to make it easy to spot give the 5Ghz network a different name - ie add 5Ghz to the end

Next location, whee is the router located? putting it in a cupboard, on the floor, by a TV,a microwave, a fishtank or even in a window ledge can affect the signal if you can place the router away from any obstructions and keep it centrally located. Also if you can plug it into the master socket - you can upgrade your master socket by fitting a NTE5 filtered face plate if you are OK with doing basic DIy stuff - there is a guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noILk3xBP2U make sure that the face plate is compatible with the mastersocket and never go beyond the customer end of the wiring - a filtered faceplate will also mean that you no longer have to use microfilters, but you can only plug the modem/router in to that socket

So youve tried all of that that you can and its still a load of fecal matter - as mentioned ISP supplied kit isnt generally upto much so go out and buy your own router modem - i did just that as my previous ISP supplied kit from plusnet wasnt all that good ( to say the least) I use a TP link Archer VR2800 and have no issues whatsoever with the wifi which is usable all over the property, down a long but narrow garden and beyond.

You will need to check that the router you want to buy is compatible with Now /Sky ( not all are) - search this forum for own router for more - but i certainly wouldnt consider switching ISP for the reason the supplied router is rubbish - if you use your own router always keep the one you got form the ISP as you may need it if there is a technical problem with your line - also some ISPs ask for the router to be returned if/when you leave/change ISP

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, that is a problem with repeaters, especially with the Now router, which is notorious for poor WiFi range, The WiFi PLA is a much better solution here.

Another option would be to get a better router, but that is a hassle of its own - you have to get one that supports the slightly unusual Sky/Now login - and even though Now have relaxed their rules on third-party routers, they won’t help you configure one, and will need you to put the Now router back on before they will look at a problem with your broadband.

(Which I think is fair enough - after two routers that wouldn’t stay connected and a pointless relocation of my master socket, BT acknowledged their router had a fault (2022: long since fixed) and helped me set up a Netgear Nighthawk; but they too wanted the 3rd replacement router swapped in if I had an issue in the future.)

The other piece of advice you might get on here (as in the posting above) is to separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the router. This is variously promulgated as improving WiFi speed, and improving WiFi range. There is a grain of truth there - a device on 2.4, which can get congested, may get better speeds on 5, and a device at the edge of the 5 range may benefit from the better range of 2.4 - but it can be a faff to optimise all this.

I suspect that the WiFi PLA I recommend will reach back as far as the Now router, and better it 😛

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated.

We now have some idea what to do and what not to do!

Hoping you had a good day today.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you all for your input, help and advice, greatly appreciated.

Have just ordered the TP Link Powerline Adapter Kit... should be arriving tomorrow - hopefully by tomorrow evening we will have internet over the whole of the bungalow... and beyond!

Once again, thank you all.

With warmest wishes,

Veronica

Jayach
Elite 3

Keeping fingers crossed for you, do let us know how it goes. 🤞