cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got sent an ADSL router even though I bought fiber Broadband and its not working?

So I just joined NOW Broadband and bought the fastest package which is 68mbs however they sent me an ADSL router which isnt even connecting to the internet through the phone line. Is this normal or did they make a mistake?

Their customer service is garbage. 

2 REPLIES 2
chilli2
Elite

What exactly have you been sent? make/model number?

Due to the unique way that internet access is marketed in the UK "fibre" broadband is delivered over copper ( and if you are unlucky) aluminium cables , real fibre is called "full" fibre

As a rough guide this is whats available

Dial up - data travels over the phone lines on the same frequencies as voice calls to a location called a point of presence  which can be a significant distance, with many cable joints etc, before it hits a fibre network

ADSL - this operates at a higher frequency not used by voice , so the data can be always on, however you will need a device called a micro filter on voice/fax devices to avoid interference.

The data travels ( usually) to a local phone exchange where its intercepted by a device called a DSLAM  and from there it may travel via fibre optic lines to wherever it goes

FTTC ( Fibre to the cabinet) / VDSL usually marketed as Fibre very similar to ADSL but at a higher frequency, the higher the frequency the more data can be transmitted, hence it is faster.

However the trade off is the higher the frequency means the shorter the effective distance so instead of being in the exchange the DSLAM will be in a street cabinet and from there fibre optic cables

Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) aka fibre to the home , this is where the fibre optic cable goes right to the property no faffing around with converting it into audio signals and back again ( modulating demodulating hence the term Modem) now currently do not offer this, but at some point they may as in some areas its replacing the copper system.

FTTP is marketed as Full fibre / future fibre or some other such thing.

side note, in the UK we could have had a full fibre optic network - the then state owned monopoly BT ( or post office telephones as it was) realised that copper was not upto it in the mid 1970's by the time the 1990s had rolled round they were poised to replace the copper network with fibre, however the then Government of Margret Thatcher put a stop to this as they wanted to encourage cable TV providers.

The  facilities and factories to manufacture the fibre optic network were sold off to Fujitsu and HP and the machinery etc was then shipped out to east asia.

An as a result we had to intead rely on much more inferior ADSL/VDSL etc, more here:

https://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

Jayach
Elite 3

Now only have one router, the Now Hub 2. It is ADSL/VDSL. 

Jayach_0-1660613693459.png

Are you connecting into the master socket? Have you tried in the test socket?

Are coming from another ISP or is this a new installation?

What are the leds showing?