cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karnd
Advocate

Hub 2 router - constant red power light only, no other lights

Our Hub 2 router stopped working after joining Now broadband within 36 hours. 

Circumstances:

I noticed the issue when the wireless SSID was showing, but connecting was not possible. 

The wireless SSID has now disappeared completely, and can not be found when searching for wireless networks with multiple devices.

The Hub 2 has a constant red light on for the power light, and all other lights are off.

The Hub 2 is brand new, clear of any dust or debris, and is cool to the touch. It is most likely not an overheating issue.

Attempts to fix:

I tried turning it off at the wall for 20 minutes, and back on again but it had no effect.

I tried holding the reset button for 10 seconds, but it had no effect.

I tried holding the reset button for 30 seconds, but it had no effect.

I tried connecting with a wired ethernet connection, but the router would not provide an internet connection or ability to access the router admin/settings page on 192.168.0.1 - 254 etc.

For the past 24 hours, the Hub 2 has been unresponsive and continuously has a solid red light for the power light. 

Causes:

Did we just get unlucky with the router provision, or is this a common problem with Hub 2s?

We used a 4K television to wirelessly access content in the internet, could this have put too much strain in the router? 

Is it possible to use a different router to the Hub 2? I have a Google Nest Hub router I would prefer to use, but would need to buy a modem first - would such a thing be possible?

But mostly, any advice on what the issue is, or do I need to request a new router?

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

@Karnd wrote:

Did we just get unlucky with the router provision,

Probably.

We used a 4K television to wirelessly access content in the internet, could this have put too much strain in the router? 

No way.

Is it possible to use a different router to the Hub 2? I have a Google Nest Hub router I would prefer to use, but would need to buy a modem first - would such a thing be possible?

It's definately possible to use a different modem/router, but it needs to be compatible with Sky_Mer authentication, for ease of connection.. The Google nest isn't.

But mostly, any advice on what the issue is, or do I need to request a new router?

It definately sounds like your router has failed

Call Now on the phone number in the link below, they will need to confirm the problem. but should arrange a new router.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jayach
Elite 3

@Karnd wrote:

Did we just get unlucky with the router provision,

Probably.

No way.

It's definately possible to use a different modem/router, but it needs to be compatible with Sky_Mer authentication, for ease of connection.. The Google nest isn't.

It definately sounds like your router has failed

Call Now on the phone number in the link below, they will need to confirm the problem. but should arrange a new router.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

chilli2
Elite

Sounds like a hardware failure, and you will need a replacement as above from @Jayach  

going a little further , i would suspect that the power supply unit has failed - thats the  thing that plugs into the wall and outputs 12 volts along a cable to a barrel jack that plugs into the router.

If like me you have a load of plugs/wires etc lying around then i would try another power supply on the router, as long as the voltage is the same ( 12 volts) and the output current is the same or higher , ie 2 amps, 3 amps etc or more and the jack fits with the same polarity ( ie centre pin positive) then give it a try, if its broken you cant break it any further by trying something.

You will still need a replacement, as this should be seen as a temporary fix .