cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hub 2 high pitch noise

Hi. Hub been running 48hrs now from activation. Early hours today its started emitting a high pitch squeal. Not enough to be concerned about but enough to drive us crazy if it continues. 

Read a few reports of similar with this hub and other providers. 

But has anyone actually fixed it or will it be a cycle of getting a different hub sent til i find one that doesnt? Or is there specific triggers for it maybe? 

Happy to replace the hub completely with a better quality one but did read thats not possible with now?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

A few people on the Community Forum have reported a high pitch irregular sound coming from their Hub Router.

Never experienced this myself using the NOW Hub 2 Router coming up to nearly 4 years of use (unless my ears are not sensitive to the high pitch sound).

The Hub 2 does run warm though and it's recommend to have good open ventilation around it which would also benefit the wifi performance as well.

Don't know how the other forum members who have noticed it got it resolved or are still living wit it, though i am sure i read that somebody asked the NOW Broadband Team to swap out the Router and the replacement was still exhibiting the same high pitch whining sound.

Maybe use the Community search box and find similar threads on the subject matter and tag the forum members who have noticed this and ask them if they managed to fix it.

Or get in touch with the NOW Broadband Team about it, using the communication methods in this link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1 

Sorry i can't recommend a third party Router that will run on the NOW / Sky Broadband service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I am aware of everything you said and thought it was clear in my original post. 

Just looking for actual advice from someone who gas experienced and resolved the issue. 

I did pre search. If you google its endemic to cheap routers from other isps also. 

You cannot recommend an alternative router as now do not allow non now routers. Thought i said that also. 

If i ring now they will likely send a new hub. This however may not fix the issue. Plus its extra hassle setting up a new router and resyncing everything. 

But if no one can help here then i will go down that route. 

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Maybe tag by inserting @ in front of the forum members name on this similar linked thread below and ask them if the replacement Hub Router supplied by the NOW Broadband Team fixed the high pitch sound or not.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/High-pitched-noise-coming-from-router-constantly/m-p/546718#M6878 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

You cannot recommend an alternative router as now do not allow non now routers. Thought i said that also. 

A number of 3rd party routers now include Sky MER amongst their connection types, so they should work on Now too. Make sure you retain the Now router in case you need to report problems

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous User 

I thought i read in the tos it was the now router only permitted. Will double check.

Turns out the old adage "if in doubt, gievit a clout" rings true still. Gave it a wallop. Problem solved. For now at least. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m not sure that percussive maintenance is allowed either, according to the rules…

And yes, Now’s own router is the only one permitted in the ToS. But who gives one? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.