cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FS1965
Advocate

Hub 2 - 2.5GHz download speed half of what it used to be

Hello, the download speed in the 2.5GHz channel in my modem/router (NOW Broadband Hub Two) has been working at about half the expected bit rate for the last few weeks. It used to give about 65MB/s on my home office computer but now it gives only about 35MB/s. The upload speed is fine (it has always been about 18 to 19MB/s). Also, the 5GHz channel works fine (65MB/s down, 18.7MB/s up), as does the direct connection through the ethernet port. So, only the 2.5GHz download speed is a problem. I have restarted the hub many times, and connected to it using several different devices (alone, not all at the same time) at various distances, but the problem persists. Attenuation and noise values look fine, too.

I suspect I will need a new hub, but does anybody have any other ideas?

(I'm an electronic engineer, so I'm fine with technical suggestions)

Either way, if I do need a new hub, what's the procedure?  (I could not find anything about it in NowTV's pages)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

It may be that in recent weeks something has started to interfere with your 2.4GHz connection, which is far more prone to that than the 5GHz band. Try a WiFi analyser to see what is going on around you and manually select the 2.4GHz channel least affected. Also, switch to 20MHz only and stick to channels 1, 6 and 11. See if that helps. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@FS1965 

Not technically minded when it comes to the broadband side of things as I would just offer the standard troubleshooting as per the website. 
Such as factory resetting the router etc.

As for a possible replacement you’d need to call the broadband team (number in my signature below). That being said there could be a fault with the line or the main feeding your line, so might be nothing wrong at your end?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I very much doubt there is anything wrong. Throughput on the 2.4Ghz band is much less than the 5Ghz, and can be affected by many things. such as a neighbours router deciding to use the same channel.

I'm sure you will say I'm wrong. but Wi-Fi is very much like that.

redchiz1
Champion 2

It may be that in recent weeks something has started to interfere with your 2.4GHz connection, which is far more prone to that than the 5GHz band. Try a WiFi analyser to see what is going on around you and manually select the 2.4GHz channel least affected. Also, switch to 20MHz only and stick to channels 1, 6 and 11. See if that helps. 

FS1965
Advocate

Many thanks!

The Wifi analyser helped.  Based on the results I manually hanged to ch 11 and got close to the usual speeds back. Incidentally some other channels gave a significant improvement, too, but 11 worked best.

Cheers!

redchiz1
Champion 2

That's great, thanks for letting us know.  🙂