cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to turn off 5GHz on HUB Two

I want to specifically turn off my 5GHz wireless frequency but keep my 2.4GHz switched on, on my Hub Two. How do I do this?

21 REPLIES 21
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity, why would you want to switch off the 5ghz wifi band on your Hub 2 Router is it because of some sort of electronic interference or something else ?

I am guessing you don't want to split the two bands up on two separate wifi networks and just use the 2.4ghz wifi band by following these instructions ?

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it.

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

I found this on the Sky Broadband Forum (use admin & nowtv instead of sky) though i don't know if the instructions in the screen shot just hides the 5 ghz frequency or totally switches it fully off.

Screenshot_2020-06-06-12-21-39.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

it seems that there is no way to disable 5g as every option shows that whatever you try, even in 5g settings , it will still apear in maintenance. disabeling ssid, wireless ap,  whatever else you try...

its still running on both 2.4 and 5g  even if you cannot detect 5g wifi name in your device connections. simply, thay made it impossible to switch 5g off.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As @schnapps asked the orignal poster why would you want to turn the 5Ghz off? 5Ghz is considerable faster than 2.4Ghz..........

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im here to find this answer because I need to add smart tech that must have the 5ghz wifi disabled to enable it to be connected to the 2.4ghz network. I am not sure why but there are a load of smart tech that demand this in order to set up their items.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you split the Wi-Fi's then you can connect specifically to the 2.4Ghz with the smart device and the phone you are using to set them up. You should be able to recombine them after they are setup, if you wish.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have a nosy at step 4 of this link as mentioned by @Anonymous User  to split the Wi-Fi signals.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

CBF

I'm having the same problem. I've got Teckin smart plugs that only work with 2.4ghz. They worked fine until I changed broadband supplier

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@CBF 

You can split the bands as outlined in a post up thread from @schnapps 

RoyB
Legend

@CBF 

I’ve just been doing this:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Smart-devices-connecting-to-2-4ghz/m-p/615116/highl...

but I’m with BT, where we can’t split the bands, but it’s easy to turn off 5GHz for a little while. But on the Now router you can split the bands, so do that, keep the current SSID for the 2,4GHz band, and use a different one just for the 5GHz band. This will force all your 5GHz devices onto 2.4 GHz, where they can talk to the Teckins.

It’s then your choice, once they are connected, if you recombine the bands, or move your 5GHz devices manually one by one to the new SSID you have created for it.

There are some very specific corner cases for which splitting the bands can produce a benefit, but they are all to do with 5GHz devices that can’t band steer properly, and it’s not the universal panacea that Now promote it as. More a delaying tactic, really… 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.