cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to turn off 5GHz on HUB Two

I want to specifically turn off my 5GHz wireless frequency but keep my 2.4GHz switched on, on my Hub Two. How do I do this?

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why do some people always answer a question with a question? 

heres an idea; they have a hidden camera that doesn't work on 5 GHz and only works on 2.4 GHZ. 

just answer the question.  Maybe you are the type of person they needs to be kept an eye on as you seem quite nosey. I would be vary conscious of my surroundings if I were you. Maybe someone is watching you right now!

ukbobboy
Legend

Crazy Emoji.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

maxresdefault.jpg

chilli2
Elite

Tip, change the SSID ( wifi network name) and password in your new (Now hub2) router to that of your old router and everything should connect without faffing around.

Tip2 as previous split the bands and rename the 5ghz band to something else ( ie add 5g to the end)

As for 5Ghz there should be no need to turn it off, i too have a few devices that only connect to 2.4 and some of them are a complete pain in the rear to set up, from a weather station to door bell, camera, smartplugs, bulbs etc they only connect to 2.4Ghz  and completly ignore the 5Ghz band as they simply do not have the internal hardware to see it.

What your devices could be seeing is the pee poor wifi from the Now router and as the signal wont be that great they could be refusing to connect or disconecting/suffering from poor performance as a result.

the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi networks form the router are designed to be on 24/7 as is the router

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

The issue with a Teckin plug out of the box is that it puts out a signal on 2.4GHz, but this isn’t on your router’s 2.4GHz WiFi. So you have to run an app that will pick up this signal, and then communicate with the plug to teach it how to connect to the router’s 2.4GHz WiFi.

The app can’t do this when running on a device on the 5GHz band, so you have to ensure the device the app is running on is on the 2.4GHz band. For me, this comes down to using a 2013 mobile phone that hasn’t got a 5GHz band, or turning off the 5GHz band on the router to force my 5GHz device to drop to the 2.4GHz band.

Users of Now routers, and no doubt lots of other routers, have a further option, to split the bands by using different SSIDs, and then making their 5Ghz device with the app able to connect with the Teckin by changing it to the SSID used for 2.4GHz. 

Those people don’t have to stop the 5GHz band running. However, they do have to ensure that each of their 5GHz devices gets back on the new SSID of the 5GHz band, manually and individually.

Quicker and easier, maybe, to just shut down the 5 GHz band for a bit, configure the Teckin(s), and then open up 5GHz again.

And note that once the Teckins are on the router 2.4GHz band, you can perfectly well control them from a device on the 5GHz band.

I’ve talked about Teckins here, but all the above is equally applicable to many IoT devices that only run on the 2.4GHz band.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@chilli2 

The issue with a Teckin plug out of the box is that it puts out a signal on 2.4GHz, but this isn’t on your router’s 2.4GHz WiFi. So you have to run an app that will pick up this signal, and then communicate with the plug to teach it how to connect to the router’s 2.4GHz WiFi.

If the device (Teckin in this instance) is putting out it's own Wi-Fi signal it really doesn't matter if the device (phone/tablet/PC) you are going to configure it with is dual band. It will connect to the device (Teckin) using 2.4Ghz, as that is the only option whilst the device in in the setup mode.

It wouldn't be an app at this point, just a browser.

The problem comes later, if you need to administer it (the Tekin device) again as you would need to factory reset the device (Teckin) to get back in.

chilli2
Elite

It's quicker and easier to change the ssid( WiFi network name) and password on the now hub2 to that of the old router , then there is no need to reconfigure multiple devices, just one.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

My experience is that that is exactly backwards.

My iPad may be dual band, like any device with 5GHZ, but it can only be on one band at once, will connect for preference to 5GHz, can’t unilaterally switch to the 2.4GHz band, can’t even have an option in the app (and you do have to use an app, not a browser to reach a Teckin) to ask the user for permission to switch bands.

i don’t know all the technical details, but unlike, say, an HP printer, which in setup becomes a full WiFi node that you can find in your list of WiFi sources and connect to instead of your router, the Teckins don’t broadcast anything like that. Maybe Zigbee or some other not-quite-WiFi-as-a-router-knows-it service? Anyway, once the app finds a Teckin, it passes it the SSID and password applicable to the 2.4GHz band, and then the Teckin becomes a regular WiFi device on 2.4GHz that can talk to, and through, your router.

After which you can configure what they can do via the Teckin app, or many other apps that understand IoT, like Google Home, on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz devices.

I suppose you might have to reset the Teckin (long press on the button on the side - it’s easy) and reconfigure it as above if you changed the details of the 2.4GHz band, SSID or password; but then you’d have a deal of other configuring to do for all your other 2.4GHz devices.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

My iPad may be dual band, like any device with 5GHZ, but it can only be on one band at once, will connect for preference to 5GHz, can’t unilaterally switch to the 2.4GHz band, can’t even have an option in the app (and you do have to use an app, not a browser to reach a Teckin) to ask the user for permission to switch bands.

I don't know the Tekin devices, but every device I've ever used that broadcasts it's own SSID so that you can connect to it and carry out the basic setup, (the basic setup being giving it the the routers SSID and password) has used a browser. To use a specific app at that point seems unnecessary. 

Jayach
Elite 3
@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

My iPad may be dual band, like any device with 5GHZ, but it can only be on one band at once, will connect for preference to 5GHz, can’t unilaterally switch to the 2.4GHz band,

It may prefer 5GHz, but if being connected to an SSID which is only using 2.4GHz (as the Teckin would be in setup mode) it will have to use 2.4GHz to do so, it's preferences will be irrelevant.