cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to setup third party router with NowTV

Hi there,

I wanted to write a guide to take you through the steps I took to setup my TP Link Archer C9 which has custom firmware DD-WRT on it and I use a BT Openreach V2FUb/r modem.

It's pretty easy.

1. Plug your nowTV Hub Two in as usual (internet connected) and plug the router into your laptop/PC via ethernet.
  2. Use wireshark to extract Option 61 client identifier information using this tutorial: https://www.georgebuckingham.com/sky-fibre-router-vdsl-password/
  3. You should end up with a a client identifier like this: 12345ff3e500@nowtv|KvBz7ABc (this one is a made up example).
  4. Convert this to hex format (use something like this to help: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html remember to remove all spaces from your code when you're done). You should end up with something like this: 61626364656667686940736b7964736c7c71776572747975696f
  5. Go to your replacement router settings and navigate to your start up script area. In DD-WRT that's administration -> commands. and enter the code below, replacing [your hex code] with your hex code:

killall udhcpc
udhcpc --background -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:[your hex code]

for example:

killall udhcpc
udhcpc --background -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:61626364656667686940736b7964736c7c71776572747975696f

1. press save startup.
  2. turn off your router, plug in the ethernet cable from your modem into the internet port. Turn on your new router.
  3. All done!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

After testing, ignore the above! It's actually waaay easier:

You don't need wireshark!! Sky/NowTV don't require MERS authentication, just that a value is there.

1. Plug in modem, plug in router, enter startup script below, save and restart both modem and router.
  2. You have a working router!!

so you can just use:

abcdefghi@nowtv|qwertyuio as your Option 61 client identifier!!

in hex form: 616263646566676869406e6f7774767c71776572747975696f

Just enter this as your startup command:

killall udhcpc

udhcpc --background -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -x 0x3d:616263646566676869406e6f7774767c71776572747975696f

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, thank you so much for your post.

Now TV were useless in telling me how i could use my own router, even though they assured me I could when ordering the service (classic).

So I have a Mikrotik Routerboard that I like to use.

So is it as simple as;

having a modem in bridge mode

connecting ethernet to my router

Enable DHCP client with option61 enabled with value: aabbccddeeff@nowtv|passwd

?

Then public IP to my router?

I will try this and report back to forum

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I will await your results with interest.

You shouldn’t need a modem, unless your router is purely that; Now don’t supply modems, just their router, which goes directly onto the line coming in to your master socket.

And I don’t know who told you you could use your own router; in fact, Now’s T&Cs (check them out) explicitly prevent you from hooking your own equipment directly onto the line from Now.

So keep the Now router handy if you ever get a line problem, as Now won’t look at it unless they see one of their own routers on the customer end of the connection.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. One question.  I have looked up what an option 61 client identifier is and apparently it is to allow connection between modem and router. I don't have a modem, just the nowtv router and a better Talktalk router, How much of you advice applies to a simple swap?

Thanks

peter