cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to petition Now TV to petition Openreach to get my infrastructure moved from copper to fttc.

Hi Now Community,

Just switched to Now Broadband on moving to a new property. Didn't realize the internet infrastructure to the new property isn't very good (Hasn't been maintained properly or updated in approximately 10 years). It's taken Now and Openreach approximately 7 days past the start date to get the connection working at all, this isn't strictly either parties fault in my opinion however it is somewhat bothersome for my partner trying to work from home. In many ways I am impressed they have got something working at all, so my thanks go out to both parties for that.

What is currently driving us to tears is the copper wiring infrastructure that's limiting us to about 15Mbps.

The Openreach engineer advised if we got fibre to the cabinet we could get a much better download speed. (I can see the recently installed fibre cabinet maybe 5-10 metres away from the house).

I am unfortunately at a loss who to contact to request fibre to the cabinet be enabled for my line, the engineer mentioned there were spare ports available and in theory it's a case of switching some wires over in layman's terms.

Can I speak to someone at Now TV who can communicate to Openreach to do the work necessary to move me from copper only to fibre to the cabinet?

My understanding is I'm paying for fibre to the cabinet but due to local infrastructure I'm only on copper wiring.

If anyone can expand on these concepts in general I'm all ears.

If I owned the property I would consider paying Openreach directly for fibre to the premises even though it's thousands of pounds.

Cheers for your time and energies,

Regards,

TheCiscoKid121

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@TheCiscoKid121 

As you have Now broadband, you will have a telephone number you can talk to them on, to see what can be done. Look under the Broadband section of your My Account - if the number isn’t obvious, it’s the same one given there for Moving House, so look that up.

If Now can’t help, then if it is sufficiently worth it for you, you might want to look at getting a business line from BT, as relying on Now’s domestic broadband for working from home may not always be wise.

It really ought not to happen, but sometimes things that other ISPs can’t get from OpenReach become magically possible when you go through BT. Not a conspiracy, necessarily, but a reflection of how much, or how little, kit other ISPs have in the exchanges for LLU (Local Loop Unbundling).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

Cheers RoyB, I'll chat to NowTV again, I spoke to them before and it seemed nothing could be done.