cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to configure Netgear Modem/Routers with NowTV

Follow instructions below to enable usage of Netgear modem/routers with NowTV. 

Officially unsupported by NowTV but you are not breaking T&Cs according to what I have read online.

I have finally figured out how to do this after being with NowTV for months and giving up initially as I thought my D6400 did not have the MER authentication (Option 60/61) settings. I found a very helpful thread where someone screenshotted the web interface which made everything clearer!

It took me a few hours, with random info dotted all around, so I thought I would save others the time and patience to put it all in one post.

INSTRUCTIONS

Update your device to the latest firmware:

  https://www.netgear.com/support/download/default.aspx

Find out your username/password with Wireshark via this video:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmMh9tn_60

Go into the router login page (usually 192.168.0.1) and replicate the below then press Apply:

  https://imgur.com/a/mOJ1qk2

You MUST change the new device MAC address to match NowTV router, otherwise, it won't work!

Hope this helps!

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for this, completed this and worked!!

just a note use the software version used in the video, worked once I did!

just hope it continues to.

strange that nowtv/sky refuse to give you the username and passwords. Was going to leave within our 14 days cooling off period if couldn’t get this working. Might just stay now.

thanks again

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You are quite right that using a NetGear router does not breach the T&Cs.

What it breaches is this, in your NOW Broadband & Calls Contract :-

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

@Anonymous User this might explain NowTV’s reluctance to give you information likely to enable you to breach your contract.

Just so you, and everybody else, are clear here 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for the reply, will be using my 14 days cooling off to leave. 

Shame rest of service has been good so far.

Still unsure why plus net net and other suppliers this isn’t the case, perhaps a rule other from sky’s end with use of TV packages.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't give two hoots as I have no brand loyalty and what will they do? Terminate my contract? Lol

Since using my own router, my wi-fi signal doesnt drop anymore, my speed is consistent and I am satisfied with NowTV's service...until the 12mths is up and I move to another provider who offers a cheaper deal haha

Have been doing this for as long as I remember 😆

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User do you use Netflix using the setup you noted cant seam to access it. Getting NW-1-19 error

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't have Netflix so can't comment.

Perhaps its due to your DNS server?

Are you able to use Netflix on other devices connected to the same router?

Perhaps try changing the DNS server to 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) and see if it helps.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Oh quite - I’m sure nobody will come after you, and if your Netgear is going to reach backwards and bring the whole edifice of NOW Broadband crashing down, then my Nighthawk will likely do the same to BT 🤣

But as you had thought fit to mention in a public forum where not everybody is necessarily as tech savvy, that using a third-party router was in all respects perfectly OK, I felt I should put the record straight.

I’m sure it’s technically OK; BT, once they understood what configuration settings I was asking for, and why (you don’t go out and buy a £115 router if the Home Hub you’ve been issued with is working perfectly OK, and I was on my third) were happy to provide them, with just the small caveat that if I had a problem and they requested, for diagnostic purposes, that I reinstate the Home Hub, then would I please do that.

But NOW are not quite as open as BT.

And it is very important, when ignoring the rules, to know exactly which rules you are ignoring, and why. E.g. if the router you have been given is a piece of junk.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB so how do you have yours set up? I am thinking of coming over to NOW, but I need to be able to configure my network off the standard "192.168.0" range due to limitations with vpn into work. I also need IPPSEC passthrough for the same reason. Currently on Virgin with the awful Superhub 3 in modem mode and my Nighthawk doing all the work (very well).

Cheers

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Mine’s on BT, not NOW, and it was just a case of finding out what ID and password BT respond to, things that are preconfigured in the Home Hubs.

NOW Broadband, by all accounts, is a very different kettle of fish to configure.

There are some claimed successes among the postings here on that topic, though, of which you might want to try the latest, since there was an earlier successful method which by all accounts no longer works.