cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How long to wait for to get good upload and download speeds.

Hello everyone,

I just got my broadband set up and I am getting download speeds that are below the minimum guaranteed ones (11.1 Mbps vs 15.9 Mbps), not to mention estimated ones (18.6 Mpbs to 30.1 Mpbs). My upload speeds are also really slow compared to those advertised (1.3 Mbps vs the estimated 3.3 to 5.5 Mpbs). These speeds were taken from the Technical Checks page, where it says there are no issues (?) with my broadband.

I am aware it is recommended to wait a few days for things to 'stabilise' (something I have heard many times from other broadband providers but that ultimately did not work). How long should I wait for a potential speed up and is there something else I could be doing to improve them in the meantime?

Thanks,

pepe_palos.

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Could be the high volume of internet traffic in your area or on your local BT exchange, where i am imagining people are at home and using a lot of more bandwidth than usual in these unprecedented times with the Coronavirus crisis or maybe BT need to throttle back the bandwidth to take some stress off their system.

Maybe try a speed test early hours of the morning or late at night when people are off the internet and are in bed sleeping.

Otherwise have a read of this.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days 

And also the last FAQ on this NowTV article where it says " my line is slower than my minimum guaranteed download speed that i was promised - what should i do".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-speeds-explained 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, I will see how it goes!

However, it seems like the speed is consistently slower at all times (I left my computer downloading something over night)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With these unprecedented times with the Coronavirus crisis, it's difficult to say that your low speeds are because of the high volume of internet traffic never encountered before or BT throttling back peoples internet speeds to reduce pressure on their service.

You could look at another ISP, but i would imagine they are all in the same boat and you also take the risk that if an Openreach Engineer is needed (depending on the circumstances involved) with the switch they may not be able to get you connected and you will be left high and dry with no internet at all (unless you are Disabled or Medical Dependant).

If it was me i would give it a week to see if it settles down, then see if somehow you can get in touch with NowTV.

Should you be using any devices over wifi in your home, then you could try splitting the wifi bands on the NowTV Router for possible better wifi connectivity, but it won't improve the measured speed you tested under Technical Checks on your NowTV Broadband account which is directly measured off the Router incoming line.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it.

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Hey Schnapps

I'd like to ask you a question or two, simply because I do not know the answers but would probably understand the substance.

OK, I will add that my questions will purely be based on your technical answers to Pepe.

1) As you know most wireless devices will automatically use the 2.4GHz frequency, e,g. Roku's and Now TV's sticks and boxes.  Can these devices be made to receive the 5GHz wi-fi frequency. 

2) It's generally known that the 5GHz frequency has problems with walls and distance, more so than 2.4GHz, so I presume a wireless extender would come in useful.  This might seem silly but do they make 5GHz extenders?  I asked this because 2.4GHz extenders are very common, but I've never seen a 5GHz one for sale.

Sorry to bug you Schnapps with my silly questions but, being relatively simple, I just like to know.

BTW, corona has emptied my drinks cabinet (well, the drinks out of my fridge) and I'm forced to play my digital albums without any lubrication, other than coffee, tea or water. 

I hate this enforced rationing.

Sad Emoji05.jpg

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I thought i would mention to @Anonymous User about splitting the wifi bands on the NowTV Router just to see if their wifi off the Router could be improved a little in terms of having a more reliable stable wifi connection around the home.

Where splitting the wifi bands doesn't really help Pepe much with regards to his low internet speeds measured directly off his Router.

If you own a wifi device that is compatible to operate over both wifi bands and have a dual band router and in your Router settings you switch off auto band mode or split the two wifi bands by giving them two separate ID Network names then you should be able to select the wifi band which works best in your home environment (you may find different playback devices work better on the low band than the higher band or vice versa).

I have never looked into wifi boosters or extenders to be honest but would have thought the more expensive ones would be able to operate over dual band.

Not really clued up on Networking or IT where i am really more into AV where my knowledge is far superior 😉.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Forgot to mention the newer NowTV boxes or NowTV Stick can work over both frequency wifi bands.

Though where possible i would always go down the hard wired Ethernet route rather than using wifi if you can.