cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do I put router in modem mode?

Hi, I just got a NowTV 2 router. How do I turn the Wi-Fi off/put it in modem only mode?

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I think I was over complicating it for myself as all I really need is AP mode and I can keep the Now hub 2 as the router/modem. As my needs are pretty simple: I just want to spread the Wi-Fi across the whole house. It is also possible for us to connect nodes together via Ethernet cables if we want to (which I assume is a good idea?) I was looking at the TP link deco A55. Wanted to spend no more than £250 ideally and think I need 3 nodes (one master in the middle with the router, then one at either end of the property - it is a very longgggg property) 

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach @chilli2 @Anonymous User 

It looks like all these mesh solutions work best when your ISP router will obediently go into Modem Mode, or Bridge Mode, which the Now router won’t.

So one solution might be to drop the Now router altogether.

TPLink do a VDSL modem/router that goes in a mesh system, to replace the router-only one in the system you are considering:-

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-x20-dsl/

But does it support MER 61?  I don’t know, but it may be worth you asking them.

If so, you could run a completely TPLink mesh system, no compromise.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-x20-dsl/

But does it support MER 61?  I don’t know, but it may be worth you asking them.

The latest firmware for that router says it supports Sky MER.

Jayach_0-1665323793814.png

Download for Deco X20-DSL | TP-Link United Kingdom

Can't guarantee it does, but I know some of their other routers do work.

chilli2
Elite

If you are thinking of bying a replacemetn for the Now router, then i would recomend that you take a look at the various manufacturers supprt sites, and forums .

As far as i know manufacturers such as D link, Asus ( and maybe more) have models that support the log in system used by Sky and Now - and likewise some models that dont.

I know that some TP link routers also work ( as i use one) and again some that dont-  i think the Archer VR series should work - but check with the manufacturers support site/forums first

So you will need to do a little resarch before you buy.

To add to the possible confusion there are many consumer bits of kit that are called routers out there.

The box provided by Now is an all in one device, it contains a router, Wifi access point, firewall a modem and possibly a few other bits as well, and by router  most people on here will mean an all in one device, There are also other devices on the market sold as routers that do not contain modems and need a modem to connect to a DSL service ie ADSL, VDSL ( sold as fibre) etc .

One other thing to check, download a signal tsting app, sucha s wifi anylyzer for android where you can see how strong the signal is , if you have another router, ir wifi access point you can test this against the now box with the signal strength app - if the other device provides a decent signal then look at replacing the now router, if it doesnt then look at a mesh system or using a homelplug set up with biult in wifi

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think unfortunately changing routers etc. would be far beyond my technical ability, and Now TV offer no support in doing so. So I really need a basic "plug and play" solution. I am going over to the property on the weekend and will try the AP mode TP link nodes with the router and pray for me that works nicely!

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

Yes indeed - the first device @Anonymous User mentioned was a router only. But I think such a device is surely allowed to call itself a router, and we should assume that it needs a separate modem, unless it calls itself a modem/router or perhaps a VDSL router?

Another thing I found on my travels, though, is that it has to be the router that supports MER 61, not the modem. Raising the prospect that even if the Now router could be made modem only, you would need the router that you fed from it to support MER 61.

The question that I haven’t found an answer to, though perhaps you would know; in the solution being pitched to @Anonymous User  to operate her mesh satellites in AP mode when used with the Now router, would there be any limitations (whether apparent to her or not)?

As there do seem to be some limitation in other configurations used to get round the limitations of the Now router, if this remains in the device chain.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Lovely, do keep us posted!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just wanted to update anyone reading this with what I did in the end, as it worked perfectly! I simply connected the TPLink X55 Deco as instructed via the app to the NowTV Hub 2 router and followed the set-up (all the auto settings - nothing special) to add the other two nodes in the other rooms. It is immediately working perfectly and in rooms where I previously had absolutely no internet I now have 31Mbps (the max we can get here) throughout the whole property. I am sat writing this on my laptop in the study at the end of the house where we had no internet before 🙂   I don't know if it was truly necessary but I have gone into the settings on the NowTV router and disabled all the wireless access point settings for both 2.5 and 5ghz (disabled: enable wireless access point, enable WPS, allow broadcast of name) and that's got rid of the NowTV hub from the options when selecting a wireless network on our devices. I could put the TP-Link system in AP  mode now if I wanted but as it is all working perfectly I don't see the need? 

So if anyone is a novice like me, please don't be worried to try a mesh system. Don't be daunted by all the complicated advice online

redchiz1
Champion 2

Excellent news, thanks for letting us know. And hopefully this will help others in future.  🙂

smokeyc

Hi for those wanting to use the nowtvhub as a bridge with an orbi (as nowtvhub2 does not support a modem only mode) - https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Netgear-ORBI-with-NowTV-Broadband-Can-it-be-made-to...

this maybe useful 🙂 though its orbi instructions - I would imagine most Netgear routers will have similar, and probably other manufacturers will have a similar arrangement when an  automatic setup detection does not recognise nowtvhub.  

Hope it helps