cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Horrendous Speeds

Have superfast fibre (approximately 3 months now) which promised the world when it came to speeds but in reality it's horrendously slow.  Running Now's technical test this morning wouldn't work as it timed out.

An independent internet speed tracker this morning quoted my speeds as .64Mbps download and .67 upload. Contacted Now who told me to change channels trying 1, then 6 then 11 - and yep nothing has improved it.  Am working from home and trying to work on cloud and keep dropping out and getting so mad as have a massive presentation tomorrow. 

Am sitting literally 1m away from the router but only have one bar showing and there is only 1 device connected to the wifi at the moment. Surely it shouldn't be this bad?

Is anyone else suffering from this? My old broadband wasn't this slow and this is meant to be fibre!! 

Am so angry and frustrated.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just checked contract and no minimum guarantee for Super Fibre upload only:

We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 74.0 and 80.0 Mb.

You should expect a guaranteed minimum access line speed of 67.7 Mb.

Guess a complaint is coming Now/Sky's way... but reckon there's nothing they will do about it. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Have superfast fibre (approximately 3 months now) which promised the world when it came to speeds but in reality it's horrendously slow.  Running Now's technical test this morning wouldn't work as it timed out.

An independent internet speed tracker this morning quoted my speeds as .64Mbps download and .67 upload. Contacted Now who told me to change channels trying 1, then 6 then 11 - and yep nothing has improved it.  Am working from home and trying to work on cloud and keep dropping out and getting so mad as have a massive presentation tomorrow. 

Am sitting literally 1m away from the router but only have one bar showing and there is only 1 device connected to the wifi at the moment. Surely it shouldn't be this bad?

Is anyone else suffering from this? My old broadband wasn't this slow and this is meant to be fibre!! 

Am so angry and frustrated.

Hi @Anonymous User 

Doesn't really sounds like a wireless issue to me tbh. The singal only depreciates on distance and objects blocking it. Have you updated your drivers on your laptop. Have you tried a wired connection to check the downstream directly from the router. Very strnage that you are only getting that speed. Has to be a physical issue somewhere.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. In a full 24 hour period I've managed to upload 21gb to my cloud and I've had to check on progress every hour as wifi has been dropping out and then not reconnecting. It's worse than when I had standard broadband. Unfortunately I have a flash laptop which doesn't allow me to plug in a cable (nowhere for it to go) so can't check that way...

Back on the phone to Now now. Missed my deadline with work as documents didn't upload (admittedly there's 200gb to upload but am currently on day 4 of trying) and am pretty angry still. Contemplating going and sitting in a cafe somewhere and using their wifi!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Nowtv Hub and Sky Q hub are the worst pieces of Kit I have ever come across.  the hub is 1.3m away from the LG TV and I get 83% changing channels makes no difference. this is with 1 laptop, 2 phones & 1 TV connected in the network. if you go into another room even through  stud walls, the signal drops to under 70%. This kit is simply not suitable for use other than in the same room as the hub. if you are in a old house with thick walls forget it unless you piggy-back a decent router off the hub. so imho this could easily be wifi related