cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Home hub is crap

I use the now TV service for a while and there great to save money access content with out using a sky box anyway Activated the now TV hub on Jan the 6th Wi-Fi kept stop connecting everyday contact customer service cannot help some reason you can have a third party router but the will not give me the username and password I have find it my self (which is completely stupid) at the minute I completely outrageous about it so I got the old router out and I need to get the username and password for nowtv broadband been all day cannot find the username and password
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@AaronR1 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:
I use the now TV service for a while and there great to save money access content with out using a sky box anyway Activated the now TV hub on Jan the 6th Wi-Fi kept stop connecting everyday contact customer service cannot help some reason you can have a third party router but the will not give me the username and password I have find it my self (which is completely stupid) at the minute I completely outrageous about it so I got the old router out and I need to get the username and password for nowtv broadband been all day cannot find the username and password

@Anonymous User

Hi

If you are using a third party router we would not have the login information for that

For a NOWTV router go to 192.168.0.1

Login using

Username: admin

password: nowtv

and try changing the wireless channel

let us know how you get on

Thanks

Aaron

He is asking for the ISP connection username and password.

With an ADSL and FTTC connection, there is a connection username and password that autenticates you onto the network to give you the internet connectivity.

This is not the Admin username and password for the router - this is completely different.

For example, BT use the following for their HomeHubs:

Username: [email removed]

Password: BT

However if this is a Fibre connection then the T's and C's with SKY is that you use only their own kit - so I think the same would apply to NowTV as well

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sky router is rubbish, i tried to use it with my voip adapter and it kept on breaking it. I then extracted my login details and use a D-Link router and there were no problems. The sky routers are so crap it is unbelieveable... only fit for the bin in my opnion.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well I was talking to customer services and they say this to make people use there equipment there is away to use third party router but they will not provide it me because they don't have access of this information but that does not mean you cannot find it yourself and as a customer no terms and conditions can tie me down as a customer I am paying for something what not doing its full potential and I want to fix it but $ky don't want to help at all I am sorting it out it the for sky fibre customers as well

Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/181010/sponsors/mS1oBYZvKM5T8GgPXc6 please sign this petition to get the internet provider to release ppp username and passwords so we all can access the internet with the third party router
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know that Sky moved from password based to port based authorisation a while back, and so by extension I think this means that NowTV did too. I think the user / pass would be effectively ignored in any event - your authentication is the physical connection in the exchange. There were a number of threads on how to easily get your pass for Sky customers back in the days when it was relevant, I think you can just fill the pass any old c*rp and it should work.

Alk2
Scholar

@Anonymous User wrote:

I know that Sky moved from password based to port based authorisation a while back, and so by extension I think this means that NowTV did too. I think the user / pass would be effectively ignored in any event - your authentication is the physical connection in the exchange. There were a number of threads on how to easily get your pass for Sky customers back in the days when it was relevant, I think you can just fill the pass any old c*rp and it should work.

I'd be grateful if someone would please confirm if it is possible to use your own router with NowTV and if so, what credentials are required?

I also understand that there is a difference between using your own router with Fibre and ADSL, so clarification on this would be much appreciated please.

Thank you.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Alk2 Welcome to the forum. NOW TV don't use PPPoA authentication so you really need to use a NOWTV/Sky router to connect. 

Alk2
Scholar

Thank you @Andy.

The NowTV team have said in this thread that you can use your own router; hence my confusion.

I have just found this thread (from the Sky forum) and it seems that if you are on ADSL you can use your own router, but you can't really if you are on fibre (which I gather from this thread is due to the change to MER authentication). I just can't be certain if this is still the case, as that thread is 2015.

Do NowTV still use PPPoA authentication for ADSL?

Either way, from what you have said in this post (and quite a few that I have read on sky forums), I can use the NowTV router and turn off wireless? (so that I can use my own WAP)

Thank you.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Alk2 NOW TV (and Sky)now use MER for all connections so it doesn't matter if you are on fibre or ADSL. So some users on the NOW TV Hub use a Sky Q router instead due to its better dual-band wifi performance, and they will connect happily no issues, but because of the MER authentication other routers won't be of use. Alternately NOW TV are now supplying the NOW TV Hub 2 to existing customers on request for £39, which is again a rebadged Sky Q router.

No problem with connecting another device to the NOW TV Hub to act as a WAP if you wish, just make sure you have a suitable device that can connect to the Hub for administering before you disable wireless on it.

Alk2
Scholar

Oh, that's brilliant; thank you so much for that information @Andy. Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy thanks for the pointer in your post, I've been struggling with my NOWTV HUB(1) since day1 with wifi connectivity and performance and didn't know there was a Hub2 to even try. Even after contacting the Live Chat support they didn't say there was an alternative so I rang up in the end and confirmed there was one. I can definiately say that the Hub2 is a much better product and is well worth getting.