cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. I need help setting up my Asus AC86U modem

Hi. I have recently signed up with NowTV broadband and I have an Asus AC86U modem. I installed merlin firmware on it but cannot seem to get it to work! 

I put the mac address in followed by @Nowtv|mypassword

into the Option61 dhcp box. 

Anyone know where I am going wrong here?

11 REPLIES 11
Jayach
Elite 3

Is that a RT-AC86U, if so, that is just a router, you can't use it on Now without a modem. (The Now router doesn't have a modem mode)

You could use it in AP mode (if it has one) but that would be a waste of the router.

Otherwise, you will have to double NAT.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi.  what is double nat?  can you please tell me how to set that up pls?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You don’t set it up, it’s just what happens when you put your own router behind the ISP router.

If you want to know more about it, Dr Google awaits, with 300 million hits on the search term ‘double NAT’. Read a handful only; you’ll get the idea; which is that it mostly doesn’t matter, but if it matters, it matters dreadfully.

And don’t forget to turn off DHCP on one of the routers. (If you don’t know what that is either, time either for some serious Googling or to ask yourself if you should be attempting this setup 😛)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

lol okay makes sense. i got it working tbh but is there no way to get it working without the nowtv router directly? i was reading online that if you put the modem into merlin mode, got the id61 in there it will work without the nowtv modem.  

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

lol okay makes sense. i got it working tbh but is there no way to get it working without the nowtv router directly? i was reading online that if you put the modem into merlin mode, got the id61 in there it will work without the nowtv modem.  

I don't know where you read (or thought you read) that, but it is wrong.

Only ASUS router with a DSL model name prefix will work on now without an external modem. RT prefix models are routers only.

Hence my earlier question.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach @Anonymous User 

I’m sure he read it somewhere, and it is true of the device being described wherever that was, but that device was a modem/router, and Haz’ device isn’t.

However, the MER 61 is configured on the router, not on the modem, when a separate modem from the router is being used.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

Yes, but @Anonymous User doesn't have a separate modem. I wonder where they were connecting the DSL cable when they were trying to set it up?

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Yes, I knew that?

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

I think we got our lines crossed.😕