cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Help. I am trying to get the ppp username/password that NOW TV router uses to login to the network

Hi.  I would like to use my ASUS DSL-N55U router.  I have just moved from Plusnet to NOW TV.  I have since learned that NOW TV will not give the ppp username and password to me...I dont understand why.  So I have been googling for ways of obtaining this information from the NOW TV router (NR801 which I think  is a TV HUB 2?).  Anyway on the web I came up with a whole bunch of possibilities.  None of them worked for me.

Suggestions

1. It was suggested to use the Sky Broadband Password Calculator.  I entered my LAN Mac address and generated the username and password. Tried it in my old router. Failed to authenticate.

2. Another suggestion was:- Username= <LAN_MAC_ADDRESS>@skydsl. Password=<LAN_MAC_ADDRESS>. This failed (I tried both upper and lower case).

3. I am running Ubuntu.  I tried using wireshark, but could not extract the information.

How should I go about finding this information?

I do have a question on 3 above. When using wireshark the instructions say that I should connect my computer up to the WAN port of the router.  I tried connecting the computer to the first LAN port of the router in the hope that this would work(WAN dsl disconnected).  I did not get the result I was hoping for.  Do I need a different cable to connect the computer to the DSL (WAN) port of the router in order for wireshark to capture the required information or should it have worked with LAN1?

I really am hoping to get my old trusted router up and running with this.  It uses shared memory and a shared printer and has very good wireless cover.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NowTV router uses MTE, so you need to clone the MAC address of the box you were sent.

Great walk through here ... 

https://ketstech.blogspot.com/2019/02/nowtv-broadband-with-your-owncustom.html

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi ndsb
Thank You for your help.

I am not sure if the link applies to me.  We do not have cable internet.  Our top speed is about 13 MB/s and we use the telephone connection to the house.
Their router indicates that it is using PPPoA. Some of the threads that I have been reading talk about MER, but I dont think my connection to NOWTV is MER...and the PPPoA above indicates that it is not?  Yes I am confused about it all.  Other providers have simply given me the login details and if I ever have a problem(which I dont) then I reconnect their router and take it from their.

At the moment I am using the NOWTV router as a modem and a DHCP server.  I am using my router as a hub which gives me access to shared memory and the shared printer on the nerwork.
Its all working fine, the only downside is I have to have both boxes plugged in to get the connection.

I will try, when I get time to set the MAC address in my ASUS router to the MAC address of the NOWTV router.  I still need a username and password for the PPPoA connection.  I could also try MER on the ASUS (there is an option on it for that).  I will let you know how I get on.  But I am not going to spend a lot of time on this as I have already spent several days playing, with no success.  At least what I have got now works, it just means that I need to have both boxes plugged in to make it work.
Thank you very much for your interest.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi ndsb
Thank You for your help.

I am not sure if the link applies to me.  We do not have cable internet.  Our top speed is about 13 MB/s and we use the telephone connection to the house.

Yes - you're in exactly the same position as the person who wrote the blogpost I sent you.  Where does cable internet come into it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh...OK  I just assumed that because the link you kindly referred to seemed to be for a  fibre connection that it would not apply to me?  I will have a closer read of it and will  have another go with my router which is a ASUS DSL-N55U (hopefully later on this week).  The ASUS does support MER and PPPoE, so I will add the MAC address and have a play with the settings to see if I can get it to work.  I really appreciate your help and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi phil1863,

I've also got an ASUS DSL-N55U and have spent a lot of time searching for a way of getting this to work with my recently installed NOWtv broadband - so far with no success. I've managed to get my username and password and set up the ASUS router as a MER network type but it still isn't connectiong. Did you manage to get your DSL-N55U to work and, if you did, do you know what the trick is?

Thanks,

GazzaJ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi GazzaJ

No, I have not had a chance yet to read and understand and try the method in the suggested link mentioned above.   Have you tried setting the Mac address to the NOWTV mac address of your NOWTV router.  It seems to suggest that it uses the MAC address to connect.

I get very confused about it all, It sounds like you have done much better then me.  I tried using wireshark to obtain my user name and password, but failed to get the option 61.  So could not extract it.  The link I think says that NOWTV uses the MAC address, so try that and see if that helps??

As soon as I get more time I will try again, using the MAC address.  At the moment I use the NOWTV router as the modem and then connect it directly into the ASUS.

Good Luck and I would be very interested if you succeed.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi phil1863,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried adding the MAC address with no luck so far. I don't know why NOWtv make it so hard! - I've never had any difficulties with previous providers. I'm beginning to wonder whether I need to carry out a firmware update on the ASUS router - I suspect it might not be compatible with the fibre broadband without carrying out a firmware update.

I'll keep trying (I don't like to be beaten!) and will let you know if I crack it.

Thanks,

GazzaJ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi phil1863,

I realised that the ASUS DSL-N55U doesn't support the VDSL broadband that NOWtv provides so I've bought a new router, ASUS DSL-AC68U, which does work once you input your broadband username and password.

Cheers,

GazzaJ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: install(at)o2broadband.co.uk [Replace (at) with @ sign]
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED

Found at:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/61836-trying-use-my-own-modedm-router.html