cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having minor problems with the ethernet

I have been having issues connecting through ethernet cables since switching to nowtv, when the computer wakes from sleep or sometimes when first started up it wont connect. However there are no problems with the WIFI connections

If I reset the connection in windows or un plug and replug the cable it works no problem so its more of a nuisance than a major issue.

I have tried a static ip address for the computer which I initially thought was working but soon developed the same problem.

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am guessing you have tried both Ethernet ports on the NOW Hub Router and in the Router webpage settings played around with Fast Ethernet / Gigabit Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have already tried the energy efficient ethernet settings and just switched to fast five minutes ago so will have to see how that goes first.

RoyB
Legend

If still no go, suspect your Ethernet cable, especially if you have trodden on it, or dropped something heavy on it, or tried to bend it in too tight a radius, or it is Cat 5 or less.

Cat 5e should be OK, but I’m using nothing less than Cat 6 for gigabit Ethernet devices,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

switching to fast seems to have fixed it so far, though I thought I had cat6 with all wires connected

Thanks for your help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Maybe this is the reason why Fast Ethernet is more stable rather than Gigabit Ethernet in your setup.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Do-I-select-Gigabit-or-Fast-Ethernet-in-Sky-Q-Hub/td-p/3765646 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Reading the link I posted above, it could be possible that one of the wires on the Cat6 cable is damaged or broken and your previous ISP Router would automatically change to it's Fast Ethernet setting and you wasn't aware of it.

Where the NOW Hub like the Sky Router you would need to manually change from Gigabit to Fast Ethernet according to the Sky Community Forum thread I linked above.

Jayach
Elite 3

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User 

Reading the link I posted above, it could be possible that one of the wires on the Cat6 cable is damaged or broken and your previous ISP Router would automatically change to it's Fast Ethernet setting and you wasn't aware of it.

@schnapps 

The link you posted is wrong, both Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables have 4 twisted pair conductors and use the same number of connections. An Ethernet port will only change from Gigabit to fast if it is switched to it, or the device at the other end states it isn't Gigabit. 

What is Ethernet Auto-Negotiation? – Fosco Connect (fiberoptics4sale.com)

Jayach
Elite 3

I will just add that the above is to the best of my knowledge, if anyone knows better, just let us know.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Cat 5e is fine.

Screenshot 2022-09-04 at 23.29.29.png