cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
broadster
Mentor

Has anyone used a sky booster with Now broadband

hi all,

If (hypothetically) i decided i didn't  want to use the Now hub2 and instead used the Sky SR203 as my main router for my Now broadband,

And with this set up i was (hypothetically) struggling to get a great wifi signal in my attic,

Would i have any luck using a sky booster like the sb601 booster (or any other sky boosters anyone thinks work) to get signal up to my attic?

I would definately try to avoud using a TP Link as part of my (hypothetical) wifi set up as im not to keen on their data privacy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @broadster 

A NOW Staff Member told me in the past that the Sky Q wireless booster is compatible with their NOW Hub 2 Router, but these are pretty expensive for a Wi-Fi booster.

Can't comment on the Wi-Fi performance improvement though, where Wi-Fi boosters in most applications doesn't make a massive difference.

Would using a set of Powerline Ethernet with Wi-Fi adaptors be more feasible (if practically possible in your setup if the Sky SR203 struggles with coverage in your Attic) ?

Or looking at a Mesh system instead.

Should you go ahead and purchase the Sky SR203 then if you have any internet issues and you need to contact NOW then temporary plug in the NOW Router (otherwise they may be reluctant to help).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @broadster 

A NOW Staff Member told me in the past that the Sky Q wireless booster is compatible with their NOW Hub 2 Router, but these are pretty expensive for a Wi-Fi booster.

Can't comment on the Wi-Fi performance improvement though, where Wi-Fi boosters in most applications doesn't make a massive difference.

Would using a set of Powerline Ethernet with Wi-Fi adaptors be more feasible (if practically possible in your setup if the Sky SR203 struggles with coverage in your Attic) ?

Or looking at a Mesh system instead.

Should you go ahead and purchase the Sky SR203 then if you have any internet issues and you need to contact NOW then temporary plug in the NOW Router (otherwise they may be reluctant to help).

broadster
Mentor

Thanks, i split the wifi to 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands, with the IOT stuff connected to 2.4ghz , and phone on 5ghz. Im getting supringly good speeds in the attic on the 5ghz depsite the distance and walls. I like the suggestion for a mesh wifi,.... i might explore that when im feeling a bit more affulent, maybe in the summer when (hopefully) the energy bill is a bit lower! But the Now broadband is actually faring very well for now, whereas my previous broadband was struggling. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @broadster 

Out of curiosity is that using the NOW Hub 2 Router or the Sky SR203?

Anyway good to hear you are getting a decent wifi reception in your Attic.

broadster
Mentor

SR203.

Seems a good router performance wise so far, although I've not added too many devices on it yet, maybe performance could degrade when everyone's smartphones and all the smartplugs and speakers and hubs etc. etc. Get connected up (hence splitting the bands) but so far so good.

Have to give it credit for reaching 2 floors up on wifi and still giving between 20 and 55 mbps download speed on 5ghz wifi.

Not done any research into how the SR203 is security wise.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @broadster 

Are you currently using the Sky SR203 and Sky sb601 already on Sky Broadband or Sky Broadband in the past and it reaches your Attic ?

Then if so, I can't see any reason it would be different using the same Sky hardware on the NOW Broadband service.

Or will these devices be new or second hand purchases.