cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johric
Scholar

Hardware for wi-fi access point?

I am looking for a wi-fi gadget that will plug into wired ethernet and produce a w-fi signal enough to cover one room. I want to be able to manually switch it on and off and also to leave the NowTV router settings "Enable Wireless Access Point" unticked i.e. OFF, so that main router itself is not producing wi-fi. Is that even possible please and if so what might it be called and who makes them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

It is called, unsurprisingly, a Wireless Access Point, and most network manufactures offer them.

You can also turn an old wireless router into one, try googling "use old router as wireless access point"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Jayach
Elite 3

It is called, unsurprisingly, a Wireless Access Point, and most network manufactures offer them.

You can also turn an old wireless router into one, try googling "use old router as wireless access point"

johric
Scholar

Thanks, and not too expensive I see. I have an old NowTV router – would that just confuse the issue and lead to conflict?

Jayach
Elite 3

When using a second router as an access point. you would just be using the switch and wireless access point in it, so disable everything else such as DHCP. Connect the routers LAN To LAN (don't use the WAN connection on the second router) and it should all work.

Edit: Set the base address of the second router so that it doesn't conflict with the main router.

chilli2
Elite

You can also use a third party router/modem and do away with the now hub2 completely as the best place for the now router is stored away in it's box

johric
Scholar

Thanks, have not really had any issues with Hub2 except it doesn't always seem to be quick enough to collect emails on computer startup but that may be computer at fault, so better the devil you know?

chilli2
Elite

Sounds more like a computer issue as opposed to a network/wifi or even internet issue

RoyB
Legend

@johric 

It sounds like you are trying to solve a problem, that you have conjectured that what you describe could be the solution to the problem, and are asking for help achieving it.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but we may be able to help you much more effectively if you tell us what the root problem you are trying to solve is, and see what we might suggest to solve that.

So -what’s the root problem you are trying to solve here?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
johric
Scholar

Hi there, and thanks for taking an interest. You probably won't think it's a problem at all really, except maybe a psychological one 😊

NowTV router upstairs that works fine; most internet stuff done on an ethernet-connected Mac, also fine; and if I switch on the wi-fi (in settings) the signal seems to fill the house fine.

Versus... 'someone' 😊 in the household does not like wi-fi in the environment; whose wife has an aversion to going on the computer to open up settings to switch on wi-fi for her iPad (iPads only use wi-fi b.t.w.); NowTV router does not have an external wi-fi switch she can use; plus her iPad constantly disconnecting where used (room downstairs).

Having recently purchased a pair of TP-Link powerline switches to connect another device downstairs led me to post original question.

So...chilli2 (above) would probably say go out and buy yourself a decent router with a switch 😊 (which I might well do in the future).

BUT actually, thanks to Jayach's suggestion, after some perseverance and frustration experimenting with settings I DID manage to set up the surplus NowTV router as a "Wireless Access Point". It's not perfect because it still hasn't got a switch so needs its own mains socket so that it can be switched on and off on it's own, but switching on at the mains and waiting 2 mins and it works great. And strangely, it seems to work better than the original, even back upstairs so now a) no complaints about iPad connection anywhere and b) no need to go into router settings at all even if I need wi-fi myself.

Sorry the post is so long but you did ask! 😊and reply is also to thank posters above for help and resolution.

chilli2
Elite

The router does not collect the emails, if everything else connected to the router is working fine, then the issue points towards an issue with the computer - and that can be an almost endless list of issues to sort out , particularly when we dont know what computer/operating system you are using let alone what software/anti virus/email client etc is on the computer , email service used and so on and so on

Have you tried another device for collecting / checking the email?