Netflix doesn't,
Amazon Prime doesn't,
Paramount doesn't,
Apple TV doesn't, and Disney doesn't.

The £5 fee for HD is a sneaky add-on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

They don't do Xmas parties, they are a budget provider and the staff wear hair shirts. NOW regularly have offers on most of their TV packages, including the Boost. Try getting that from Netflix.  😉

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@rkingd01 

NOW is HD it is just 720p without boost and boost is full 1080p. Which is the same Netflix on the basic package.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/netflix-picture-quality-upgraded-no-extra-cost/

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
rkingd01
Mentor

Good point Mark. My oversight. Strike Amazon Prime from that list of services that do not charge extra for HD tv and be assured I will don the hair-shirt as soon as I've finished flagellating.
All the best at the Now Xmas party

redchiz1
Champion 2

They don't do Xmas parties, they are a budget provider and the staff wear hair shirts. NOW regularly have offers on most of their TV packages, including the Boost. Try getting that from Netflix.  😉

rkingd01
Mentor

In no way will I defend Netflix but their higher price point includes UHD series and films. 
Back to Now TV I agree their reduced rate offers are very good. I was taken aback at the c.50% reduction for their main product, SkySports but they still want to add £5 for HD viewing. Have you tried watching football on a large screen at SD level?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@rkingd01 

NOW don’t output at SD, they do HD. It’s not full 1080p HD however, it is 720p.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@rkingd01 

As has been explained to you by @Mark_Weinreb above, basic Netflix at £6.99 is the same resolution, 720p or ‘HD Ready’ as it is sometimes called, as Now.

To go to 1080p, Full HD, you will need to pay Netflix another £4.00 a month, i.e. 80% of what Now charge for the same uplift, but Netflix only give you 67% as many simultaneous users with their uplift as Now do with theirs.

For 4K, Netflix want £9.00 more than for basic 720p Netflix. Though this is a bit of a red herring here, as Now don’t offer UHD; but Sky do, and Sky charge more for UHD on their streaming services.

We can debate for days the rights and wrongs of charging extra for 1080p, and how much value is thus given, but the point is that Now are following the precedent set by Netflix, the streaming pioneers, in so charging, and following it pretty closely.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
rkingd01
Mentor

Cheers Roy

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@rkingd01 , you’re wrong about Netflix. A basic subscription (£6.99) will allow you to watch on one device at a maximum of 720 lines (technically HD but not regarded as such by many people). Standard (£10.99) gives you 2 devices at 1080, whereas premium (£15.99) gives you 4 devices at 4K. And of course, there is always basic with ads for £4.99.

So, Now are therefore not the only ones charging extra for HD, whatever you believe .