cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chas89
Scholar

HD Boost - Is it worth it?

A while ago I received the email offer of three months of the HD boost for £6.

I am considering taking it up in time for the football resuming next week.

But I've seen a few different posts on here from people having picture problems during live football when using the boost.

So, I am asking, is the HD boost really worth it? And generally, for most people, does it improve the viewing experience? Particularly when watching football, cricket, etc?

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Chas89 

Watching Sky Sports on NowTV with a Boost Pass is a night and day experience in terms of picture quality when watching at 50fps in my opinion.

The difference between 1080p and 720p to me is not a massive difference on sports, but 50fps is the deal breaker for me.

Not all NowTV playback devices offer Boost support and LG Smart TV's with the inbuilt NowTV native App can't offer 50fps playback.

Also only six of the eleven Sky Sports channels currently provide the 50fps service which is Sky Sports Main Event, PL, Football, Golf, Cricket & F1.

More information in this linked guide below about NowTV Boost.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost 

There was some matches previously that caused picture artefacts with Boost from my own experience, but if the picture issue was seen on Main Event then switching over to the Premier League channel would be usually fine or vice versa when watching the football on Premier League and switching over to Main Event would usually sort it out.

I haven't watched anything since March on a Sky Sports Pass with Boost where hopefully the picture problems with Sports & Boost has now been permanently fixed (fingers crossed).

NowTV asking for an additional price for the Boost Pass is another matter though 😠.

starman73
Elite

HD boost is worth it for sport. As a experiment, I applied HD boost during a game and the difference was amazing.  The ball does not flicker, picture is sharper and smoother.  As good as HD via my Virgin box.  Also it still has 30 minute pause buffer.  

Not convinced it makes much difference for movies and entertainment.

Chas89
Scholar

Great thanks.

I've taken up the offer, so let's see how I get on.