cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

GeForce NOW (Cloud Gaming) high packet loss

I'm trying to play some games (doesn't matter which one) on GeForce Now and I'm getting stutters and lags.

The built in network test shows good ping times but a LOT of packet loss and slower speeds than expected.  Speedtest and packet loss test from other websites show the connection in their direction is all good.

Different servers report different packet loss and bandwidth but this one is the closest and the best ping. (recommended server)

I'm wired directly into the router.

Devices tested:  Desktop, Laptop, Shield TV - all exhibit the same behaviour.

I'm using the [voucher code removed] router, but I have also tried with the old TalkTalk and Sky routers and the same still applies.

I have no issues with any other service.

I have tried with my laptop on a neighbours WIFI and I don't experience these symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated!

Network test on EU West

Packet loss test

Speedtest

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have NOW sent out a new router? Perhaps request OpenReach to investigate the connection with your property?

Give the broadband team to find out can be done.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

How to submit your complaint:

• Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 I'm not sure any of that will help as I have tested with three different routers already and I get no packet loss on any other service that GeForce NOW.

Anyone else use this service and have problems/everything fine?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sorry bud, my broadband is with BT and getting 250MB. So never any complaints. 

All I can suggest is to give the team a call to see about sending an engineer?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 from what I've read, BT offer a "super stable" setting that tweeks the QoS settings so packet loss is greatly reduced.  I wonder if they have that on NOW.  I didn't realise this was a thing until trying to use cloud gaming!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you manage to sort this? I have switched from BT to NowTv broadband and GeForceNow complaining about high packet loss, tried on both Wifi and Ethernet, with BT I was using Ethernet.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  Not sorted.

I have phoned the Now Broadband support team a couple of times and each time, they didn't understand what the issue was (but you can watch Youtube, so you have internet). 

They just blamed it on the GeForce Now service and said there was nothing they could do. 

I also tried my neighbors wifi (BT) and a friend's (virgin) they worked without fault.

I've found that sometimes during the day you can just ignore the warning that you get and the game plays fine, but most of the time you get a lot of stuttering.  I've since cancelled my sub and I guess I'll have to wait until my contract is up so I can go to another provider that gives a better service.

We just need some QoS set up and it would be fine but no one will do it.

If you find anything, please let me know.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. Stable, expected speeds & zero packet loss, except to/from Geforce Now resulting in stutters during gaming over the Geforce now service. Wired ethernet connection direct into the nowtv router.

I have access to another PC on a virgin media connection and have confirmed that a nowtv connection has packet loss in the Geforce Now test at the exact same time as there is zero packet loss over the virgin media connection.

I did call nowtv tech support and may have had a better outcome than others in this thread. I tried to clearly explain the problem and was assertive in stating that it couldn't be an issue with the local network connection or my VDSL connection to the exchange as access to all other services work fine. The nowtv support agent agreed and said that they had escalated the issue to their networks team (hopefully not just fobbing me off), so time will tell whether anything is done.

Geforce now connection test result:

https://packetlosstest.com/ result:

Ookla speedtest result:

Anonymous User
Not applicable

One more note, the 7% packet loss above is almost the best result I've had testing Geforce Now over my NowTV broadband connection, this morning packet loss was at 22% making the service completely unusable:

Again, zero packet loss to Geforce Now over a Virgin media connection tested at the same time and no other issues with accessing other sites or services over NowTV Broadband.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I wonder if your problem is with Now broadband per se, or the rather limited router that Now supply?

This could perhaps be answered by someone here who has replaced their Now router with a rather better one, and otherwise qualifies as a GeForce Now user - does that imply a laptop with a GeForce card, or what?

I also wonder if Broadband Buddy is implicated in here somewhere - that you should have it set to 18+ is a given, but I wonder if you could turn it right off, or get Now to turn it right off for you?

I suspect GeForce Now will be the most demanding thing you are running, and if Broadband Buddy is juggling with its data packets, I wonder if that might not be some way beyond its capabilities to keep up?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.