cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fibre Unavailable

I wanted to change my 'Brilliant Broadband' to 'Fab Fibre'.

Customer support said Now Broadband would never be offering Fibre in this area because the local (Bangor) exchange is closing and is moving to Belfast exchange, and the line would come direct from Belfast and not to the cabinet.

I don't understand how the line will be brought to the house if it's not from the street cabinet.

Anyway the agent did say fibre is available in that area with other providers.

Perhaps someone could explain. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Usually two profiles exist under fttp within the up to 80Mbps "superfast" range. 

40Mbps down and 10 up

80Mbps down and 20up

These are called SoGEA

But nothing exists below 40Mbps

Also the stop sell for new subscribers isn't just fttc it applies to adsl and all copper line products

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I wonder if the NOW advisor is getting mixed up with full fibre directly into your home.

Where NOW Fab Fibre is fibre to the street cabinet and then a copper telephone line to the home.

I just used this BT Openreach Fibre Checker using my home address has an example and it confirmed i can only get FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) at speeds up to 80Mbps which is what i was expecting.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ 

I would also check with your neighbours in the same street if any of them have fibre to the cabinet and copper line to their home (if that's what you are after and not full fat fibre into the home which NOW don't currently offer).

If everything matches up, try NOW again by speaking to a different NOW Advisor and if still no go, then look at other ISP's.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, yes maybe.

Openreach say Full Fibre (I assume they mean FTTP) is available at the address, and, as you say, NOW don't offer FTTP.

He gave the reason that the local exchange will be closing shortly and that all the lines will come directly from Belfast, implying that the cabinet will no longer be in use. I can't see how that could possibly be.

I'm not presently at the address, but I'd be surprised if there is not fibre-to-cabinet as it is a built-up residential area and is several km from the local exchange - so standard broadband is slow, about 3MBPS. .

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Full fibre fttp comes from the local exchange and bypasses the cabinet. There will be no changes at local exchange level . Its just Now doesn't seem to be offering fttp

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Enter your full post address below and check the results for wbc fttp . If available at your address then you may have choose a non comcast isp

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, fttp doesn't come through the cabinet, but I wasn't asking for fttp, I was asking for NOW's Fab Fibre 36MBPS.

The NOW agent said the cabinet would not be in use once the local exchange closed. If that's true, everyone in the area will have to go fttp!

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

What does it say at the top for vdsl. ?

Where fttp is available sky and other isp's can offer the maximum superfast speed of 80Mbps and actually prefer that way.

When copper lines (pstn) close circa 2016 then people will have to move to internet based calls . So they is an inevitability of people moving to fttp through openreach.  

RoyB
Legend

@allanc 

Max 80? My BT FTTP is 500, and I could have had 900.

Or are OpenReach artificially restricting third-party suppliers?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
allanc
Scholar 3

@RoyB 

The max 80Mbps superfast can be delivered by fttp. Really academic as now doesn't offer fttp. Sky offers 80Mbps fttp sogea , 150 and 500Mbps fttp

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@allanc 

NOW does not offer FTTP it is only FTTC.

Anything FTTP would mean you can get 150mb+ as described by @RoyB 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help