cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fibre Unavailable

I wanted to change my 'Brilliant Broadband' to 'Fab Fibre'.

Customer support said Now Broadband would never be offering Fibre in this area because the local (Bangor) exchange is closing and is moving to Belfast exchange, and the line would come direct from Belfast and not to the cabinet.

I don't understand how the line will be brought to the house if it's not from the street cabinet.

Anyway the agent did say fibre is available in that area with other providers.

Perhaps someone could explain. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Usually two profiles exist under fttp within the up to 80Mbps "superfast" range. 

40Mbps down and 10 up

80Mbps down and 20up

These are called SoGEA

But nothing exists below 40Mbps

Also the stop sell for new subscribers isn't just fttc it applies to adsl and all copper line products

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

At my other location Openreach fttp is not yet available.

But Fibrus is. They have reasonable charges but only for the first year, then it doubles!

You can keep your existing number and your existing telephone which plugs into the router. They charge an extra £10 a month for it. But it is via VoIP, so I guess the router converts the old phone to VoIP.

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Re Fibrus

They just dug up our roads to lay their cables.  But Openreach may be quick to pick up on it and lay their own once they get word. We have just been told our flats are being upgraded and the maintenance manager has granted wayleave to openreach to dig up the communal carpark and lay their cables.

Read reviews on fibrus. Getting mixed reviews

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A friend got Fibrus a few months ago and had outages up to 36 hours, but seems to think it was teething problems and has been reliable recently. I am a few hundred metres from a PCP cabinet and am getting 66MBPS (raw) downstream with TalkTalk, so won't be needing fttp anytime soon..

Fibrus didn't have to dig up our road or carpark, as apparently they were able to access existing ducting.

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Depends on location. Fibrus are  entirely seperate to openreach. Just down here  they happen to be digging an entire new network whilst houses 15 metres away can get openreach fttp via the overhead route, Just with us they need to drop it down from telephone poles and dig across the carpark to duct it in. 😁

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Having quite an investment in designer phones, 6 dotted around the house, of the conventional sort, I was pleased when BT supplied me with a VOIP adaptor that connects the base handset to my FTTP Router wirelessly, and thus serves all 6 phones seamlessly, as if I had a landline still.

The only difference I have noticed is that local calls need the STD code; you can’t leave this off like you could if you were going through the local exchange.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

At the top it says "VDSL Multicast available".

Sure, in 2026 if copper is gone then I will have to consider FTTP.

Until then the local cabinet, within about 100m, has fibre from the local exchange.

It may be that the cabinet is full to capacity, but the Now agent didn't mention it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Comparison sites are still showing my address as getting adsl and fttc, although not available.

I don't need more than about 10 Mb/s, so are there any providers with a limited bandwidth FTTP - obviously at a cheaper price?

allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Usually two profiles exist under fttp within the up to 80Mbps "superfast" range. 

40Mbps down and 10 up

80Mbps down and 20up

These are called SoGEA

But nothing exists below 40Mbps

Also the stop sell for new subscribers isn't just fttc it applies to adsl and all copper line products