cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fibre Outage on 9th August

I'm in SW Herts and suffered a total outage from Early Thurs Morning to late in the Evening - No phoneline or internet I received several SMS texts from Sky  informing me that they were working on the problem and on their website they said their engineers were working to replace  a broken optical fibre. 

The thing is .... It affected an area covering multiple exchanges from Watford to Welwyn, so the damage must have been to the backbone, not to the local fibre from the exchange to a local cabinet. Now, I thought that the infrastucture is all owned by BT and shared, but it seems that Sky/Now TV were the only provider affected. How is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm in SW Herts and suffered a total outage from Early Thurs Morning to late in the Evening - No phoneline or internet I received several SMS texts from Sky  informing me that they were working on the problem and on their website they said their engineers were working to replace  a broken optical fibre. 

The thing is .... It affected an area covering multiple exchanges from Watford to Welwyn, so the damage must have been to the backbone, not to the local fibre from the exchange to a local cabinet. Now, I thought that the infrastucture is all owned by BT and shared, but it seems that Sky/Now TV were the only provider affected. How is that possible?

@Anonymous User Sky Broadband (which also supports NOW Broadband) has its own private core (backbone) national network, so generally speaking it doesn't use BT's own core network (i.e. the one used by BT Broadband customers et al) for carrying the traffic of Sky & NOW Broadband customers over that part of the connection between the exchange and "the internet".

But you are correct about Openreach (a BT subsidiary) "owning" the infrastructure between the exchange and your home. Handover between the local infrastructure and the core network is all done within an exchange.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User Sky Broadband (which also supports NOW Broadband) has its own private core (backbone) national network, so generally speaking it doesn't use BT's own core network (i.e. the one used by BT Broadband customers et al) for carrying the traffic of Sky & NOW Broadband customers over that part of the connection between the exchange and "the internet".

But you are correct about Openreach (a BT subsidiary) "owning" the infrastructure between the exchange and your home. Handover between the local infrastructure and the core network is all done within an exchange.