cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fibre Broadband speed dropping massively

Hello

i have been with NowTV for broadband since March. My NowTV hub says it is connected at 78Mb and that there are no problems with my line. 

For the past few nights the speed from 7pm - 12am ranges from 4Mb at best to 2-3Mb on average. I have troubleshooted as much as I can. I have Even gone as far as disabling the Wi-Fi network and running a Speedtest from a single laptop connected to router over Ethernet (this is where I got 4Mb)

when I get up in the mornings, it is back to a solid 67Mb+!!

this is driving me insane. Surely peak load should not be affecting my speeds this much?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I have repeatedly tried to contact NowTV but online chat is constantly unavailable. 

Ps. My upload speed has remained at a solid 18Mb. 

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

My Account/Broadband & calls/Moving Home.

See phone number, ring it, talk to a human about the issue,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply RobB. Unfortunately whenever i speak to them they just keep saying there is nothing wrong!!!! Bt openreach coming back out tomorrow but I know they wont find a fault. NowTV refusing to send a new router to see if that resolves the issue. It is driving me insane!!!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Did you ring them at a time which was both during their operating hours AND during the time when your speed was affected?

It would be hard for them to argue with the massive speed drop when they could see it.

But I’m not surprised they won’t send you a new router. You or they would have to posit a mechanism by which your router drops its speeds between certain hours, and is OK the rest of the time. How might that happen, do you think?

It’s much more likely to be external interference.

If you have an Android phone or tablet, I recommend you download WiFi Analyzer. With this, you can see all the detectable WiFi signals in your neighbourhood, and what router channel they are on, and so on.

And you can look when things are OK, and look again when things go slow, to see what, if anything, might be trampling all over your internet signal.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.