cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fiber as far pole outside property - then copper wire from pole to house

We have issues with our broadband dropping out about 15 times a day, usually only for a minute or so.

NOW have said no issues.  Work IT dept suggested splitting the signal 2.4/5 which we have done and no improvement.  

Neighbour said he had same issue, and got the copper wire between the pole and his house replaced with fiber and issue was rectified.

Asked NOW to replace the wire and they said no - told us that they cant service houses that have fiber.

Is our only option to wait until our contract ends and move to BT or Talk Talk (who my neighbour is with)?  Any other ideas?  Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
chilli2
Elite

Now don't provide a service over fibre cables, only copper.

Any one that told you otherwise is a fibber .

Let's start from the top, what package are you on with now?

Are you plugged into the master socket, or an extension?

Jayach
Elite 3

If you are in a Full Fibre area, then moving to it when your contract ends may be a good idea.

However if there is a problem with the copper line to your property Openreach are still obliged to fix it.

Jayach
Elite 3

Just to add, if your pole has full fibre, but you are on Now, you will still be using copper all the way back to the cabinet.

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

I thought the top two Now Broadband packages were fibre from the cabinet back to the Now servers? Now may not provide all-fibre services, but they are certainly providing services over fibre for the majority of their traffics’ journeys, surely?

@Jayach 

Is there fibre over poles? I would have though it was pretty fragile stuff, and it all ran safely underground?

But certainly no fibre to a pile, and then copper from it? Or is that possible?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

Is there fibre over poles? I would have though it was pretty fragile stuff, and it all ran safely underground?

No. full fibre using the existing poles, plus sometimes a few extra. is very common

Openreach Update on Solutions for UK FTTP Pole Capacity Issues - ISPreview UK

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

But certainly no fibre to a pile, and then copper from it? Or is that possible?

Sorry, I missed this part of the question.

No, they wouldn't swap technology on the way, it will be either copper or fibre all the way. However, they can use a hybrid cable from the pole with both copper and fibre, for anyone who wants to keep the copper phone line. (until the PSTN is switched off)

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Thought not.

But then, as above, I thought you wouldn’t have fibre coming over poles, which you have put me straight on.

You live and learn…. 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

@RoyB coper being dial up, ADSL, VDSL

Fibre being fibre all the way

@magthemex   you will need to look at why its dropping out, and what is dropping out

Is this issue something new, or has it been there from the start?

Is it the wifi thats dropping,  or is the router dropping the internet connection ?

the only way you can check this is to use a wired Ethernet connection to see if that's stable, and/or to go to the router settings and check the uptime/connected time info

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

If fibre is fibre all the way, doesn’t that mean that two out of the three Now Broadband plans breach the Trade Descriptions Act?