cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fake downstream on the hub admin page?

Hi, I've been with Now broadband for a year and during that time the download speed seems to have fluctuated wildly, as would normally be expected, at different times of the day. During that time, every time I have checked, the admin screen of my modem shows the downstream rate to be 79999Kbps and the upload rate to be 19999Kbps. Some days the speed drops right off a cliff for no apparent reason - yet the modem still reports a connected speed of 79999!

If I call and enquire about "slow speeds" I am told that it is "connected at 79.999Mbps" and is therefore running as fast as it expected.

This all sounds a bit fake though. Surely the modem is simply set to accept at a maximum rate of 79.999, and this is not necessarily the actual line speed I am getting at any given time. 

My question is, how do I prove that I am not receiving the minimum speed agreed in my contract - as determined by OFCOM regulations, if Customer Service rely upon this fake modem speed to put people off making any complaints about it?

Does Now Broadband have a dedicated speed checker service which we can log into, or should we use third party checkers, like the Ookla one to prove breach of contract instead?

2 REPLIES 2
redchiz1
Champion 2

Are you sure you are looking at the actual connection speed rather than the maximum rate available? Are your own speed tests over a wired, or wireless connection? What readings do you get here:

https://account.nowtv.com/check-service-status/

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, I've been with Now broadband for a year and during that time the download speed seems to have fluctuated wildly, as would normally be expected,

I wouldn't say that was to be expected at all. I would expect slight variations, but fluctuating wildly, not.

The differences you are describing are between the sync speed and the download speed.

It is explained here: Broadband download and upload speeds explained (nowtv.com)