cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fab Fibre Maximum Speed?

Hi

What is the maximum synch download and upload speed possible on the Fab Fibre package. The NOWTV website only mentions an average speed of 36Mbps.

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The broadband advertising rules have changed recently where Average speeds are now quoted rather than maximum speeds which is better in my opinion because there are so many variables that effect internet speeds and it is difficult to quote accurate figures (see article linked below).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Glossary-of-broadband-speed-terms

From my memory before the changes, i believe the maximum "Access line speeds for nowtv fab fibre was 40mbps down and 10mbps up (might be wrong thou and don't take this has gospel where i would rather somebody from the nowtv team to give you a more definitive answer).

The distance from the local green BT cabinet is literally outside my house and i am getting the full fat 40mbps / 10mbps speeds Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine is synching at (20MB) down and  1.3MB upload. Seems a bit strange as that is the exact adsl speed I was getting before I switched to fab fibre yesterday.

I think there must be an error when they switched over and left me on adsl.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

What results do you get when you click on My Account > Technical checks on here, does it come back with an internet speed warning issue or green ticks saying everything looks good ?

I would contact the nowtv broadband team by going to My Account > Broadband & Calls and click on the "moving home section" where a telephone number should pop up on screen and raise your concern about the speeds to the broadband team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The technical area  doesn't show any problems. Is there  something else I can check (gateway server etc) that will tell me if I am on the Adsl or Fibre at the cabinet. Also the line attenuation has increased from 24 on ADSL to 25.8 since the switch to fibre. Considering the cabinets are suppose to be closer when using Fibre compared to ADSL that seems odd.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Going to My Account > Orders and Appointments might indicate what type of broadband service was ordered / processed (you might have to refresh the page a few times because there is apparently a bug on that page at the moment for some customers).

You might be better off contacting the broadband team (see my previous post) where they can investigate this further on your behalf.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I will contact them tomorrow now.

On that order screen it says:

• NOW TV Fab Fibre
  • NOW TV Pay as You Use Calls
  • NOW TV Line Rental
  • NOW TV Hub Two
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been told that the router logs on the HUB2 will show if I am on ADSL2 or Fibre.

My logs show

Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
Line 0: ADSL G.992 started
Line 0: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
Line 0: ADSL G.992 message exchange

Apparently G.992 is ADSL2 and G.993 is Fibre aka VDSL.

Is this correct?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

To be honest i don't know maybe try googling the question in your internet browser search engine.

When i access my Hub 2 router settings and under status logs i am not seeing anything that says either G.992 or G.993 (maybe i am not reading the log status entries correctly which is all above my head Smiley Sad).

Have you spoken to the nowtv broadband team about this and when you provisionally enquired about Fab Fibre what average speeds was you quoted before signing up to nowtv from your post code home address ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's all fixed now.  I didn't end up getting through to Nowtv on the phone as it was constantly engaged. An openreach engineer phoned and said my line was wrongly switched to Adsl2 instead of VDSL and is now fixed.

If anyone else has this problem, the router logs (scroll all the way up) will show G.992 if on ADSL and mine now shows G.993 which is Fibre (VDSL).