cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

FTTP

We have just left sky which was FTTP. Open reach have just been out sent by Now who say I can’t have FTTP and only FTTC with copper from the cabinet to the house. I don’t understand as they are the same company, is this right?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Jayach
Elite 3

I'm surprised Openreach actually allowed the FTTC to be used, seems a retrograde step.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Where it isn’t actually Copper Stop, this still goes on.

I don’t think there is any copper on the trunk lines out of any exchange any more.

Fibre To The Cabinet was an important stepping stone because previously you were limited by your distance from the Exchange, and it did away with that.

But now we have Fibre To The Property, we need a new name for FTTC, and I would suggest Hybrid Fibre, by analogy with Hybrid Electric Cars.

In Spain, our ISP would have laughed at ONTs. We had Fibre To The Router; literally, the fibre cable running along the wall and going directly into a router that did everything. OpenReach would have had nightmares if they had seen it….

l’m pretty certain I could plug my old 56k modem into my digital voice adapter and use it as if I was on a copper line, if only there was something out there still listening for dialup.Or does the ADC/DAC conversion going on only fool human ears? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

l’m pretty certain I could plug my old 56k modem into my digital voice adapter and use it as if I was on a copper line, if only there was something out there still listening for dialup.Or does the ADC/DAC conversion going on only fool human ears? 😛

I'm pretty sure you couldn't. The analogue modem signal wouldn't like being digitised. It will be using frequencies outside the normal human voice.

But as you say there's not really any way to test it.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

If modems strayed very far from the range of the human voice, then likely the telephone system wouldn’t accept them. Or even telephone handsets. Remember acoustic couplers?

I was production planning electric train sets and racing car sets in APL on a big Boeing mainframe over one of those in 1978.

But I do recall, a few years later, that when I tried to record programs for my Sinclair Spectrum on a HiFi VCR instead of a cassette deck, they wouldn't load back, though they were fine on a markedly inferior non-HIFi VCR. To my ears, the beeps and boops sounded exactly the same, but the Spectrum didn’t think so.

(Don’t ask me why I was doing that, though: idle curiosity, or trying to save on cassette deck batteries, or some such 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Because it’s basically sky. The router is by sky, I get sky call centres calling me to confirm NOW install dates etc and when I was with sky it was fttp. Just thought it was strange they didn’t. 

Grumpyfrog
Scholar

Recently an Open Reach contractor laid fibre cables in our area and fitted new boxes at various points. Some neighbours who are Sky or BT customers have had fibre lines connected from box to their house. We still have copper.  We have one of these new boxes within 10 metres of our house, but as I understand it, NOW will not sanction or undertake this work. I was hoping that as I am paying for Super Broadband (63mbps) they would. 

Can anyone tell me different?

RoyB
Legend

@Grumpyfrog 

Yes, different. Now don’t do FTTP . Now Broadband is selling into a vanishing market, in which even Openreach won’t do FTTC in many areas any more, and even in FTTP areas where they do, people are feeling short-changed that they can’t have FTTP.

Though if you are happy with 63Mbps, and don’t have line issues, why would you want FTTP?

We have 500Mbps FTTP, and we get 350 in the lounge and study. But only 69 in the back bedroom; and yet there’s no compromise in the service there. If it mattered, maybe if I wanted to game in there, I could ask BT for a mesh repeater or two, which would be free to borrow, but I don’t.

Grumpyfrog
Scholar

@RoyB 

I am not getting the 63mps as I hoped I would, if I signed up to Super Broadband as I did earlier this year,  but 36mbps. I was aware that Open Reach were to lay fibre cables to our street, so I thought I would sign up and pay for 'Super' in readiness for it. I was not aware that NOW would not connect it to our house.  It appears I am stuck with NOW until the end of my contract. 

As a matter of interest, do Now state in their advertising, they will not connect to property?

RoyB
Legend

What minimum speed did Now guarantee? If you aren’t getting it, get onto Now Broadband Support and have it looked at:-

0330 041 2518

As regards plans ‘Fibre’ on its own is FTTC, which even BT still offer where they can, and FTTP is known as ‘Full Fibre’.

I cannot find FTTC on the Now website - a search on Help reveals no hits. Oddly, FTTP gets 171 hits, but I can’t find the term in any of the handful of most promising entries I looked at.

You might want to ask Now if they will release you from your broadband contract (and they will have no choice if they try and fail to get you the promised speeds) so you can go somewhere you will get the promised speeds of FTTP. Or at least let you move to Sky without penalty, so you can have their FTTP.

But I do wonder how long Now can go on without offering FTTP?
Their network is Sky, and Sky have it, so it should be easy.

Grumpyfrog
Scholar

@RoyB 

Thanks for the response.

In all honesty I am getting 36mbps which is more than the 32mbps I was guaranteed at the time of signing up. I found that acceptable as at that time there was no existing fibre Superfast cable laid on our street. I knew it was to happen in late spring so I elected to pay for the Super Broadband, thinking wrongly that NOW, being owned by Sky,  would connect to my house. I would imagine that NOW would be silly not to offer a fibre line connection service as a lot of existing customers will consider leaving.