cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

FTTP

We have just left sky which was FTTP. Open reach have just been out sent by Now who say I can’t have FTTP and only FTTC with copper from the cabinet to the house. I don’t understand as they are the same company, is this right?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21
chilli2
Elite

Do you have an  openreach ONT? or just a normal phone socket? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the open reach ont and the phones socket

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

is this right?

It's right that Now is owned by Sky. It's also right that Now don't use FTTP.

No idea why.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now don't currently do FTTP, what made you think they did?

chilli2
Elite

I'm guessing it could be due to how fibre is allowed to be marketed in the UK thanks to offcom there's plenty of confusion out there about what  fibre is.

It should be

Fibre from the modem at the distant exchange ( dial up)

Fibre to the exchange (adsl)

Fibre to the cabinet (vdsl, what the lines of now use)

Fibre to the mast/transmitter (Wimax)

Fibre to the node

Fibre to the premises/home

Hence the question about if an ONT is present, or would have been better to ask where and how the previous modem/router plugged in

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:

I'm guessing it could be due to how fibre is allowed to be marketed in the UK thanks to offcom there's plenty of confusion out there about what  fibre is.

It should be

Fibre from the modem at the distant exchange ( dial up)

Fibre to the exchange (adsl)

I think you are a little confused, there is no fibre involved in either of those. They are both copper all the way.

@chilli2 wrote:

Hence the question about if an ONT is present, or would have been better to ask where and how the previous modem/router plugged in

The OP said he was on Sky which was FTTP, therefor they have to have an ONT. Whether the original master socket is still there depends on what was done when it was installed.

chilli2
Elite

@Jayach wrote:

I think you are a little confused, there is no fibre involved in either of those. They are both copper all the way.

Dial up: at  your end You have a device that modulates and demodulates  a  digital signal into audio noises which are on the same wavelength as voice signals travel on, called a Modem. these noises  represent the 1's and 0's of binary code - in other words data. This device will dial a number which would be one for a dial up internet server ( that unless being used for point to point communication ie not the internet) this phone cal made on the copper cables l made by the modem or for the modem would end up at another modem owned/operated by your internet service provider  which in turn would be connected to the ISP's point of presence (POP) which in almost all cases would be a Fibre optic cable

ADSL - aka Broadband, ADSL stands for Asymetric Digital Subscriber line.  again you will have a modem recently these eventually became multi function devices incorporating amongst other things, a wifi access point, a router, Ethernet switch and firewall etc, and are commonly called routers.

The modem part of this operates at a higher frequency than voice signals so it can be transmitted along the copper cables without interfering too much with voice data , however minor issues can be caused with traditional voice services - hence the addition of micro filters to block out any effects of the high frequency - should be out of the range of human hearing noises.

The higher frequency means that much more data can be transmitted but it wont travel as far as a voice signal - so the Fibre optic cable terminates that the telephone exchange in a device called a DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Modulator)

VDSL: also known as FTTC ( Fibre to the Cabinet). VDSL stands for Very high bit rate Digital Subscriber Line

As the frequency is higher than that used with ADSL then more data can be transmitted, down the copper cable however the higher the frequency means the distance  has to be shorter so to achieve that the DSLAM is moved to a street cabinet and form there fibre optic cable to the exchange and back to the ISPs point of presence - other variants of this also exist but are rare in the UK such as Fibre to the Node (FTTN) but with ADSL/VDSL the last hop to a property is almost always on a copper cable

other technologies such as Gfast are a variant of this using even higher frequency ranges

Fibre to the Premises/fibre to the home - this brings the fibre cable right to the property and cuts out any interference/degradation issues with the above

A few years back Offcom received a complaint that people were being deceived by ISPs marketing FTTC as Fibre it was decided that as fibre is involved somewhere in the chain then it can be marketed as fibre , by the same logic then dial up is also Fibre as a fibre optic cable is involved somewhere in the chain.

The end result is now that real Fibre is with us people are confused and who can blame them?

Its a complex mix of technologies, acronyms and none of it is made easy when coupled with marketing terms .

So thats the reasoning behind asking the OP what they plugged their "boxes " into and testing the water if they know what an ONT is - another clue would be asking what package/speeds they were getting with their previous provider - Sky

Jayach
Elite 3

When I read you original list I thought by dial up you meant calls, I had forgotten about dial up modems.

Still either way neither of those become fibre until after they reach the exchange, and back in the day there was not much fibre even in there.

Also (as far as I know) ADSL still goes goes all the way to the exchange over copper. The name fibre broadband did not come into general usage until Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and VDSL came along. I agree when Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) arrived they should have given FTTC a more suitable name, but every body was used to it by then, so it was considered confusing if they changed it.

@chilli2 wrote:

So thats the reasoning behind asking the OP what they plugged their "boxes " into and testing the water if they know what an ONT is - another clue would be asking what package/speeds they were getting with their previous provider - Sky

The OP said: 

@Anonymous User wrote:

We have just left sky which was FTTP. Open reach have just been out sent by Now who say I can’t have FTTP and only FTTC with copper from the cabinet to the house. I don’t understand as they are the same company, is this right?

So I think they are more than sure about what they have.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi mate, yeah your right. My ont and master socket are next to each other. When we changed from sky to now, they changed the fibre from the exchange to the house via ont to the copper line to my master socket