cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

FTTP novice

Hi all - I’ma bit of a novice on FTTP and would appreciate some guidance.

There were some open reach engineers in our road a few days ago, and they said they were installing FTTP for all houses in the road. They’ve now finished their work and have moved on to the next road.

As noted - I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff. What does this actually mean now? What needs to happen for me to get a quicker connection? I’m currently on about 40mbps download, which is fine but sometimes struggles when all of us are using it (there’s 6 of us in the house).

Not sure if NowTV do anything that makes use of FTTP.

Help please! 😁

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Unfortunately and annoyingly NOW do not take advantage of the FTTP network, only its big brother company Sky does. 

Not sure if there are any plans to in the future either. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah - cheers for that, what a shame! I’d have thought they’d look to take advantage of that. Perhaps I’ll look around elsewhere 😁

Many thanks for the help!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Not a problem, that's what I had to do as well because NOW don't offer FTTP and in my new build only FTTP services were offered. So I had to go with BT to get a cool 250mb 😎

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

250! Very jealous, suspect I’ll be jumping ship then!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

500 here, or which 350 is achievable over WiFi, and the worst signal in the furthest corner of the house is 160. AIUI, the comparable speed on a Now router would be 0 😛

BT have offered me 900 for a further £4/mo, but I just don’t need it.

What I do need though, as I WFH, is an unburstable service. BT provide 24/7 tech support; and even if someone drills through the fibre, or there’s a big outage of it, BT have provided me a small cellular modem which will kick in and let my internet continue functioning over EE’s mobile phone network.

I do pay a bit more that I would pay for Now broadband, but the breakeven is about two hours’ work time…

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.