cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exisitng Router

Hello,

New to NOW broadband, all good except the coverage area of the wifi is not as good as previous provide, so I thought I might just try using the previous router.

It was a Vodafone router, are there any line by line instructions out there to help me swap the NOW router with my previous one, assuming it can be done of course.

I think I have to connect tbe old one by a LAN cable and login into the admin portal, but no idea what next and what the username and password would be or is that what it would have been when using Vodafone?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You definitely cant use the Vodafone router to replace the Now one. It is possible to use another router as an AP (Access Point) by connecting the LANs together. Try googling "use spare router as access point".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You definitely cant use the Vodafone router to replace the Now one. It is possible to use another router as an AP (Access Point) by connecting the LANs together. Try googling "use spare router as access point".

chilli2
Elite

Some ISPs want their old routers back - Vodafone, according to the link below being one of them:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/ROUTER-RETURN/td-p/2626753

There are other solutions out there, such as using your own router in place of the now router, however not all routers are compatable.

I use a TP link Archer VR2800 , other cheaper models are available, see the TP link forums for DSL modems/routers for more info - some other routers will also work, although i can only speak for my own experience with the tp link device.

If you use your own kit, keep the now box to hand as if you have any issues you will need to plug the now router in to get customer support from Now as they  ( like most other ISPs) wont provide support for equipment they haven't supplied

By router, i mean an all in one box that plugs into the phone line, has Ethernet sockets and provides wifi

this is a Modem/Router/Wifi access point ( plus a few other things) all contained within one box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Vodafone definitely don't ask for their routers back at the end of the contract. They do if you cancel in the 14 days cooling off period.

They have a returns process should you want to return it, but otherwise they expect you to dispose of it in an environmentally correct manner.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for all really informed replies.

In the end I've just bought one of those WiFi extenders you can plug into a spare plug, actually pretty decent!

I was out of contract with Vodafone and they definitely didn't ask for their router back so I've flogged it on eBay with a couple of other routers I've collected over the years what with all this changing providers.

Cheers,

David 

flavione
Scholar

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for all really informed replies.

In the end I've just bought one of those WiFi extenders you can plug into a spare plug, actually pretty decent!

You could turn your VF router into an access point

https://youtu.be/lH0NT9RLAvQ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lol, that's great, I could, except it's now somebody else's problem as flogged it on eBay, good to know tho.