cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxAida
Mentor

Ethernet Broadband connection drops multiple times a day and download speeds below minimum

I'm using a Ethernet Cable connected directly to NOW Hub 2, I've have been with Now TV for a few months (12 month contract)  and at least every 2 days the Now Hub 2 will restart random times throughout the day, sometimes the connection will be resorted very quickly other times it will take multiple attempts until it connects back to the internet.

I want to state again I am not using WIFI, it's an wired connection, ethernet cable.
Only one device is connected to the Now TV Hub

I have also checked my download speeds it's well below the minimum download speed that is guaranteed.

Guaranteed 57.3 Mbps
I am getting 28.3 Mbps download

My plan with NowTV is SuperFibre

I have tried My Broadband & calls - Technical checks and I received "Sorry, we can't fix your issue online with a number below."

I have honestly had enough and want to change providers, I just want to know if I change without paying an early termination fee since my download speeds are below the minimum guaranteed on the summary plan page it says "Your minimum download speed is guaranteed, and if we don't stick to it, you can leave without a charge!" 

I want reliable internet that won't keep dropping connection.

My contract started mid February 2022 and live in Greater Manchester.

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MaxAida 

Have you contacted the NOW Broadband Team directly about this ?

Where they have no more than 30 days once reported to give you a reliable service with a minimum guarantee down speed that was promised or you have the right to cancel early without paying any termination fees.

There is a bit about it on the last FAQ on this NOW linked article below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-speeds-explained 

Jayach
Elite 3

If Now can't fix your problems, then you will be free to leave, although you need to give them a chance to try to resolve it. Call the broadband team via the link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd leave them and get a better provider. The same things been happening with me, I've lost count how many times I've had to contact them and they go through everything except what's causing the problem which is the router. Sky have the same router and their customers report the same problem.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Perhaps it’s a fault with the line as far back as the cabinet. 
You should call and ask for full line investigation.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

When i tried using the now router i found its perfomance to be terrible over wifi and not as good as my tp link router over ethernet, likwise i had a few re boots as well until i unplugged the thing and went back  to my tp link router

The re-booting / random re starting now hub will either be a hardware issue - ie using cheap components that are not up to the job such as capacitors that fail if the get too hot, underpowered/under performing CPU in the router, and/or poorly written bug infested firmware or a combination of all of those

As far as i know data conections over the openreach ( and other) networks use something called dynamic line management (DLM) this tries to keep the data connection stable and free from disconects, if there is a series of disconection events then the DLM will drop the speed until the line stabilises.

If the Now router is constantly re booting then the DLM could see it as instability instead and slow things down.

Put your address ( potcode) into this site and you should see what speeds, unde VDSL impacted you should get: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

jayboy77
Advocate

Hi there - i have been having these issues for over 18 months - including untold emails and calls - 3 engineer visits - get the same - the green lights stay on the router but the signal dies - it shows in the diagnosiic section - log - you can see where the link has gone down - usually about 15 times on a bad day - i personally think this is caused by too low an SNR value - the sources i have checked say this should be the higher the better - mine is at 6 - which is the bare minimum according to NOW but according to others this is too low to be stable enough - i asked them to boost mine - they got it toaround 9 at one point and i had no issues for a few months until it started falling again. I am convinced this is the cause - due to either  a bad section of trunk line with inadequate shielding from all the EM interference (noise) or old wire that needs completely upgraded. I am throwing in the towel and moving to BT - the concern is that will i be getting BT over the same stretch of line that seems to have an issue?

RoyB
Legend

@jayboy77 

Can you get FTTP from BT where you are? Then it won’t be the same stretch of line at all.

Even if you have to stay FTTC, and even though it will still be Openreach maintaining the line, BT are likely to respond quicker to incidents (top-tier SLA), and direct more attention to eliminating them.

Won’t come at Now prices, though 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

An SNR of 6 is perfectly good, any higher and you are wasting bandwidth, any lower and the line could  become unstable. 

With SNR, lower is better for speed, higher better for stability, 6 or thereabouts is chosen by DLM to be a compromise between the two.

SNR doesn't cause problems, a varying SNR is an indication of them.

chilli2
Elite

Have you always been with Now broadband ( or Sky) and if not then who were you with before?

did you have issues on the line previously?

While ii wont be an immediate help, you could try something called a Broadband Quality Monitor, this will provide you with information you can pass on

theres a free one here : https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

follow the set up details for the Sky Hub ( as i understand that is the same as the current Now Hub2)

for example My BQM currently looks like this :

968ce981ce0ba29a950a354aa1e5197d27c49b11-04-05-2023