cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Erratic Broadband

I am meant to have a connection speed guarantee of min 65Mbps but never get more than 62Mbps. My connection drops as far as 2.5Mbps at during these times jitter is 250+ with packet loss of 4.1%.

Now keep telling me there is no faults on my line and that they are measuring 67Mbps at the hub which I have never had as a connection speed when measured by speedtest.

I have been told to change wifi channels (made no difference) to sync 2.4 and 5 Ghz as I had split them as they said this would be reason for slow speeds (made no difference). I tried a speed test with hub wifi off and used ethernet cable and still only achieved 61Mbps. the hub has been moved to different locations in house, different connection cables to socket used microfilter changed (all with no difference to speed) Connection remains unstable running for most part between 45Mbps and 62Mbps. I have tried everything with no improvement at all and Now doing nothing to help, I am at my wits end with this, I was a BT customer for 4 years at this property and one year with direct connect both without issue but had nothing but problems with connection since moving to Now

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The speed you are guaranteed is the Sync speed of the router. A wired speed test of 61 Mbs would be expected for a sync of 67Mbs, due to overheads of about 5-10%.

It sound like your problems are due to Wi-Fi, and poor Wi-Fi performance of the Now router is a common complaint on here.

Positioning of the router can often improve performance (keep it away from other electrical devices, Fish tanks etc) but if that doesn't help you may need to consider a separate Wi-Fi booster/Access point or a mesh.

The guaranteed speed is usually at the lower end of what the line is capable of, so check here to see what Openreach think your line should be capable of. BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Line check from BT says high 80 low 74

I have mesh setup with asus routers but connection being strangled through hub 2 as when only hub 2 on my connection is still erratic have tested with laptop on ethernet and hub wifi disabled and still connection between 40 and 62
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
have tested with laptop on ethernet and hub wifi disabled and still connection between 40 and 62

That wasn't what you said originally,

@Anonymous User wrote:

I tried a speed test with hub wifi off and used ethernet cable and still only achieved 61Mbps.

Still if you were given a guaranteed speed of 65Mbs I would expect the line to be capable of much more.

You need to check the DSL connection of the router, and try with it in the test socket.

If you are trying to use the ASUS(s) behind the Now router you will need to use it in AP mode (if it has one) or you will be running a double NAT.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It was in my original post

I wonder if the hub is just not able to handle the connection 

Now tech say they are testing ling at 67 from hub but definitely not what i am getting as a connection.

They have made no attempt to explain why I would be getting intermittent line jitter of over 250 and packet loss upto 4.1%, as far as my research has taken me is that this could be down to hub not being capable of handling the data thus causing slow throughput leading to jitter and packet loss