cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Engineer Visit

Am a new broadband customer. Signed up in my new home and was booked in for an engineer visit 14 days later! Two weeks... Christ 

The house has a phoneline and BT Master socket. It's a new build but we're not the first tenants. It even has a Virgin cable set up too should I wish to go with them one day. 

Understand an engineer may have to "switch it on" but thought this could be done remotely?

Spoke to Now on the phone and got "sorry our system shows your property doesn't have a line so an engineer needs to visit". Fair enough, I'm no expert. I see a master socket but maybe they have to come and do something physically?

So I asked are there any appointments sooner? Need Wifi for work etc. Then came the bizarre bit..."No sorry, not possible, it has be to 14 days from your order request"... It has to be 14 days?

Any experts out there able to clarify for me? I've changed provider many times and never had to wait 14 days for an engineer. Just sign up and switch straight away.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From my limited experience of switching over to different ISP's , fourteen days is about the typical norm from what i have encountered, though it may take longer if it's not a straight forward switch over.

There is a little bit of information about it on this guide internet article that i pulled off the internet.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/broadband/content/a-guide-to-switching-your-broadband-provider/ 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Out of curiosity I set up a order on Sky Broadband, and after putting in my address received:

"You already have an active phone line at this property, confirm you are the bill payer and have permission to have broadband installed"... They then went on to also try and book and engineer visit for 14 days from now.

So it seems even though they know my phone line is active there is something that needs to be done by an engineer physically. Hey ho, looks likes im waiting for Openreach.

Seems convenient that they only book engineer visits in after the usual 14 days "right to change your mind" period has elapsed. A coincidence surely... 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As a guess the cooling off period of 14 days only exists when you have active and working broadband?

Best to call the broadband team to make sure.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help