cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Email servers?

Hello just joined NowTV Brilliant broadband and my transfer was straightforward and speeds are better than my last contract with BT.

I assumed that when I was connected I would have access to email and I would set the accounts up as I have with other suppliers, obviously this is not the case!

As a previous Sky customer (two years ago) should I still be able to use my original email setup or do I need to use another email service? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous User

NOW Broadband doesn't provide any email service for customers.

That's a good thing, in my opinion, because - in the long run - it's not a great idea to be tied to an ISP's email service. For example, an ISP might restrict access to its email service to existing customers only, or they might levy a charge (either to existing customers or to former customers who wish to continue using it). So there's a danger of losing access, or perhaps having to pay for continued access, to old email accounts.

So your best bet (unless you feel up to running your own mail server!) is probably to use another "free" email service - perhaps GMail or Apple Mail or Yahoo or suchlike.

If you can't, or don't want to, so that then - provided that it's still open - you should still be able to access your email account(s) from a previous ISP (such as your Sky email) either via the web browser interface for that service or by configuring an email client on your device(s) to access that service (which is probably what you used to do before switching from one ISP to another).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Anonymous User

NOW Broadband doesn't provide any email service for customers.

That's a good thing, in my opinion, because - in the long run - it's not a great idea to be tied to an ISP's email service. For example, an ISP might restrict access to its email service to existing customers only, or they might levy a charge (either to existing customers or to former customers who wish to continue using it). So there's a danger of losing access, or perhaps having to pay for continued access, to old email accounts.

So your best bet (unless you feel up to running your own mail server!) is probably to use another "free" email service - perhaps GMail or Apple Mail or Yahoo or suchlike.

If you can't, or don't want to, so that then - provided that it's still open - you should still be able to access your email account(s) from a previous ISP (such as your Sky email) either via the web browser interface for that service or by configuring an email client on your device(s) to access that service (which is probably what you used to do before switching from one ISP to another).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't send emails as I've just moved to Now and there is no outgoing server available......I don't believe this what ISP doesn't provide servers to allow emails to be sent???!!!

What the hell am I supposed to do . Had I known this would be the case I NEVER would have joined Now... Some gobbledegoop in the reply on this issue about accessing the server of the ISP i have just left WHAT!?

I'll be cancelling my contract with Now in the absence of an acceptable answer. TThis issue should be highlighted in the advertisements for now

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

AAMOI, what do you use to get email on your phone?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi RoyB

I’m pleased to say that I’ve resolved the issue I was having by changing the details of the outgoing server to the same as those of the incoming server that is used by the Horde Webmail account that I have.

Simple when you know how!

Thanks for your interest.