cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jack87
Advocate

Download speed

My download speed shows 68mbs on router but on firetv it's only 23mbs can anyone explain why. Router is 6 ft from tv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2
10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jack87 

Factory reset to the router?
Wi-fi connection? Try splitting the bands. If you can connect the fire tv via ethernet, 

Both indicated on the link below.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

On the same link check the status of your line. 

All they fail, call the broadband team for full line investigation. See link for number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
redchiz1
Champion 2

I am not sure how the Fire TV is getting its numbers, but isn't that more than enough for any streaming service, or are you actually having issues viewing?

Jack87
Advocate
Plenty for streaming but contract states it will not go under 60mbs
redchiz1
Champion 2

Yes, but it's not going under that at your router? 

Jayach
Elite 3

The contract says (AFAIK) nothing about Wi-Fi speeds, it refers to the sync speed at the router. (yes, I know is says download speed, but that is misleading)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Jack87 

I find a lot of speed test Apps on my devices are all over the place when it comes to the download speed measured at my devices.

Though I do find the check network speed test via the Netflix App pretty consistent and seems more accurate in what I tend to be receiving in my home setup.

If you are not experienceing Wi-Fi drop outs or poor Wi-Fi connection from the NOW Hub Router and you subscribe to Netflix, then perhaps try the Netflix App Network test.

Open the Netflix App, then click on the Get Help (bottom of the screen on my Fire Stick) then click on Check Your Network to see the down speed measured by the Netflix App device.

RoyB
Legend

@Jack87 

I have a browser window open on fast.com, which is free, and says it is ‘Powered by Netflix’, so this may be the same thing that Netflix subscribers get.

In case you aren’t one.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Yep. Available to all at https://fast.com/ 

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 19.14.14.png

broadster
Mentor

Could be a whole host of things, check the hardware (i.e. firestick) specs to see what it max outs at, e.g. a lot of folks with gigabit speeds will complain they can't  get gigabit wireless speeds but alot of devices at the moment can only handle 200mbps.

Also check theres no interference; metals, handsets etc. 

As @gavs82008 mentioned set the firestick on to 5Ghz rather than 2.4ghz if its close enough to the router without obstructions.

Then you can maybe also try cycling through the wifi channels on your router manually to see if theres a channel which gives better speeds for the firestick.

Failing all that, i dont know if the firestick takes a Cat5e+ ehternet cable