cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do I need a phone line?

I've arranged for now tv to supply my new address but my current provider advised that there's no phone line at the new address. 

I've checked this with by BT who advised there's no active phone line there so I'm unsure why Now TV told me that they could supply this address and there didn't need to be an engineer sent out to connect the phone line. 

I wondered if anyone else had any experience of this? I'm not sure whether to cancel the arrangement now and go with my existing provider. I certainly can't afford to have a period where I'm without broadband as I'm currently working from home...

Any input welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
redchiz1
Champion 2

If you don't have an existing phoneline on the Openreach network then NOW can arrange an installation for you. Did you not make this clear at the point of ordering? Were you previously with Virgin Media?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure whether to cancel the arrangement now and go with my existing provider. I certainly can't afford to have a period where I'm without broadband as I'm currently working from home...

Simply don't cancel your current non-FTTC broadband until the new one is up and running. That way there will be no downtime. (but a little more cost)

chilli2
Elite

What/who is your current supplier?

is this at the new address, or old address?

If you initiate a House move with your old supplier you may enter into a new minimum term contract with them

Ie you are with X ISP at your old address and you have told them that you are moving to a new address , your account and connection moves to the new address and in that case you may end up tied into a new minimum term / contract

Or you are with X ISP at your old address and your new address has no phone line .

If/when you move you can cancel with your old ISP and Now may be able to provide at the new address , there may be an early termination fee and in some cases a disconnection fee deepening upon your old ISPs policy(s).

A few things that can cause issues:

The new Address is in a "copper stop sell area" this means that Now  ( and a few other ISPs will not be able to provide a service as you will only be able to get FTTP

The new Address is in a new build area and there is no openreach available, instead Virgin media or a network owned by the house builder such as fibrenest that is part of the persimon group, or another "alt net" has a deal to be the exclusive provider in the new build area

The new Address can have an open reach line, but isnt installed

The new Address has an openreach cable but its not active.

For an idea on the situation at the new address, take a look around at the other properties and the street furniture/cabinets etc. ?