cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disney+ surround sound

Using Pink Now TV 4K box and cannot get Dolby Digital output using Disney+.

I have Now Tv box set to Dolby Digital output in the audio settings.

Does the Now TV Disney+ app support DOLBY Digital?

Have another TV with built in Disney App and that does do Dolby Digital so odd doesn’t work via Now Tv box.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fixed it!

After much hunting on forums, I now have Disney+ app on my Now TV 4k outputting DD+ to my amp.  The issue was although the audio menu in now tv was set to DD+, when you watch content and hit the * button the volume setting was set to 'levelling' rather than 'off'.  Selecting 'off' then restarting the content turned the DD+ on.

And to my surprise this is actually an improvement over using the Disney+ app on my TV which only outputs DD (not DD+).

The Now TV 4k box is great and an improvement on Sky as I can get both Disney+ and BT Sport in 4k HDR too, so in some ways a Now TV box can beat Sky Q for picture quality.

Now just need Iplayer and BT Sport Apps to offer Dolby Digital, I assume that these 2 apps are limited to stereo and it's not my setup again?

Also 7 continents, one planet on iplayer via Now TV is also 4k HDR and looks stunning niether my TV iplayer app nor via Sky Q gives 4k HDR for this show, so again the Now TV box wins.

Very impressed with Now TV 4k box, surprised to find Now TV no longer sell as they are pushing the stick instead, but for £30 off ebay I've go a great product which is better than the far more expensive Sky Q for picture quality.

Now we just need Now TV to offer a 'super' boost with 4k and HDR...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
nowswaish
Scholar 3

I suggest you ask Disney as it’s their app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So is Now TV Disney+ app different to the ones built into TVs?  Dolby Digital works with in built Disney+ TV apps and my sound system does support Dolby Digital.

The issue is the Now TV Disney+ app does not do Dolby Digital on my Now TV (Pink) box.  Does anyone have Dolby Digital working with Now TV Disney+ App?

Just want to understand if anyone has Disney+ in Dolby Digital through Now TV app or whether it is a fault with my Now TV box?

I know for Now TV sky content you need the Boost for Dolby Digital, but assumed this wasn't needed for external apps i.e. Disney+

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User the app on your NowTV box will be Dolby Digital+. No one will have Dolby Digital working with the NowTV box as it can't transcode Dolby Digital+ (convert it to Dolby Digital). Devices such as Amazon Fire Stick, Xbox, PS4 and Shield Pro 2019 can do this.

I can't comment on what the app on your TV is and it's probably a question best answered by the Disney community or the manufacturer of your TV. The app may well be Dolby Digital+ but your TV is transcoding the audio of the built in app. 

Some TV's will transcode an external source (NowTV box) but it tends to be high end TV's.

The issue of 5.1 surround sound fills dozens of threads in countless community pages but there are so many variables (device, tv, avr, cabling etc) it's nearly impossible to pin down any one issue or reason why some people get it and others don't.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fixed it!

After much hunting on forums, I now have Disney+ app on my Now TV 4k outputting DD+ to my amp.  The issue was although the audio menu in now tv was set to DD+, when you watch content and hit the * button the volume setting was set to 'levelling' rather than 'off'.  Selecting 'off' then restarting the content turned the DD+ on.

And to my surprise this is actually an improvement over using the Disney+ app on my TV which only outputs DD (not DD+).

The Now TV 4k box is great and an improvement on Sky as I can get both Disney+ and BT Sport in 4k HDR too, so in some ways a Now TV box can beat Sky Q for picture quality.

Now just need Iplayer and BT Sport Apps to offer Dolby Digital, I assume that these 2 apps are limited to stereo and it's not my setup again?

Also 7 continents, one planet on iplayer via Now TV is also 4k HDR and looks stunning niether my TV iplayer app nor via Sky Q gives 4k HDR for this show, so again the Now TV box wins.

Very impressed with Now TV 4k box, surprised to find Now TV no longer sell as they are pushing the stick instead, but for £30 off ebay I've go a great product which is better than the far more expensive Sky Q for picture quality.

Now we just need Now TV to offer a 'super' boost with 4k and HDR...

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User Disney uses Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos. If you're using a NowTV box you'll need an amplifier that supports one or both sound formats with a direct connection (HDMI pass through).

Screenshot_20201005-090437.jpg