cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disappointing broadband performance on new installation

Well, the good news is that I managed to get connected to my new Super Fibre service today. This apparently is supposed to give me a guaranteed 70Mbps. I used the broadband speed test at https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and found that my download speed was 0.69Mbs while my upload speed was 5.63Mbps. This is not what I was expecting! Can I expect the performance to improve any time soon?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I reset the router and tried the speed test again, this time managing to achieve a mighty 3.65Mbps download speed, but curiously a meager 0.78Mbps upload speed. At least I was able to watch the end of the football without those snide little "Insufficient Bandwidth" messages!

I do hope that things improve substantially...

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Something does sound right to me, was you on standard Broadband previously or Fibre and who was your your previous ISP was it Sky or somebody else ?

I would give the NowTV Broadband Team a call, where you will find their telephone number under My Account > Orders & Appointments whilst signed in on here.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was on a BT Internet Fibre Business account as arranged by my housing charity. That service was canceled so I had to arrange my own with Now TV. That BT Internet service was blisteringly fast, while it lasted. I've not succeeded in getting through to anyone on the phone - 20+ minute waiting times. I'll see if @nowtvhelp respond on Twitter tomorrow morning.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I switched from BT Fibre to NowTV Fab Fibre and once the service went live my download & upload speeds was hitting full max 40mbps & 10mbps straight away.

Sounds to me looking at your speeds that the Engineer at the exchange or local street cabinet may have mistakenly switched you to standard Broadband (just pure speculation on my part though).

If you can't get through by telephone, then try live chat on this link below, where if you tried NowTV Twitter all they will do is refer you to their live chat service.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again for your reply! I'll try the chat in the morning (I've just missed them @Anonymous User.02!). I'll let you know how I get on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Things have got a bit stranger. I tried again on my Apple Mac with a USB WiFi dongle and got 6.94Mbps Down and 12.47Mbps Up. If I try the same speed test site with my iPad I get 28.08Mbps Down and 18.04Mbps Up. I'm just hoping it will all make sense in the morning!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

To be honest testing your download and upload internet speeds via wifi is not ideal or an accurate method, where ideally you need to check it with a wired connection directly plugged into your Router with all other internet devices switched off apart from your device plugged into the Lan port.

Though saying that looking at your results they seem to be all over the place and i would have expected higher readings on the NowTV Super Fibre service if you was guaranteed 70mbps down and you are taking the readings in the same room over wifi has where the router is located.

I know NowTV say in their help guide article that it takes approx 10 days for the Broadband line to settle down (but i think this relates to Standard Broadband and not Fibre, though i might be wrong in this assumption).

If you still can't access the My Account > Technical Checks section to see what Download & Upload speeds that are measured directly on the Router.

Then go into the Router settings by using your internet browser by typing in the url address bar 192.168.0.1 and when prompted type admin & nowtv where under one of the tab option i think there is an option (might be wrong) to read the Hub Router down & up speeds being measured.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps As a Newsnet veteran, I know how annoying cross-posting between groups can be, but in case you didn't see the other thread...

<quote>

Thanks for the reply. On further investigation, it appears that it may be my WiFi on my ancient Apple Mac Pro that is deficient. The hub is downstairs, and while my iPad Air 2 can connect at ~ 45Mbps, the Mac, with its DLink USB dongle is only managing ~8MBPS. The diagnostics from the router's config page is reporting that the line is running at full strength.

In any case, I have a telephone engineer arriving tomorrow morning, to, hopefully, install a new telephone socket in my room so that I can connect to the hub using Ethernet cable and not rely on that pesky WiFi at all. I'll let you know how it goes.

</quote>

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Hello again! Check out the "Scary Message" thread 😀