cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Could my broadband speed be faster?

I have recently switched broadband provider from Sky to Now TV. I expected my download speed to increase significantly, but it's only slightly faster.

The Sky Fibre Unlimited package I was on before had an advertised average download speed of 36 Mbps. My estimated speed was between 39.0 and 40.0 Mbps with a guaranteed minimum speed of 34.9 Mbps. On speed tests I was typically seeing around 36-37 Mbps.

I'm now on Now TV Super Fibre, which has an advertised average speed of 63 Mbps. My estimated speed was between 47.7 and 67.0 Mpbs (I think that's a typo in the email from Now TV -  probably should be Mbps) with a guaranteed minimum download speed of 42.2 Mbps.

Actual speeds are only a little above the guaranteed minimum, around 44-45 Mbps. I was expecting/hoping to get something around the 60 Mbps mark, nearer to the advertised average. 

I went through the Technical Checks section of this website and carried out the line checks, and eventually got a message to call the support line. I did that, and arranged for an engineer to visit, but I later had to cancel due to work commitments. 

Is it worth me rebooking a visit, or am I pretty much stuck with these speeds?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have recently switched broadband provider from Sky to Now TV. I expected my download speed to increase significantly, but it's only slightly faster.

The Sky Fibre Unlimited package I was on before had an advertised average download speed of 36 Mbps. My estimated speed was between 39.0 and 40.0 Mbps with a guaranteed minimum speed of 34.9 Mbps. On speed tests I was typically seeing around 36-37 Mbps.

I'm now on Now TV Super Fibre, which has an advertised average speed of 63 Mbps. My estimated speed was between 47.7 and 67.0 Mpbs (I think that's a typo in the email from Now TV -  probably should be Mbps) with a guaranteed minimum download speed of 42.2 Mbps.

Actual speeds are only a little above the guaranteed minimum, around 44-45 Mbps. I was expecting/hoping to get something around the 60 Mbps mark, nearer to the advertised average. 

I went through the Technical Checks section of this website and carried out the line checks, and eventually got a message to call the support line. I did that, and arranged for an engineer to visit, but I later had to cancel due to work commitments. 

Is it worth me rebooking a visit, or am I pretty much stuck with these speeds?

I assume your internet is delivered down your phone line ? If it is the speeds you will get are dictated by your location to the local exchange the further you are from it the more your speed drops. The speed they advertise against the speed you get will always be significantly different. The only company that comes close giving you what they advertised is Virgin.You said you were with Sky previously and as Sky & Now Tv piggyback on the Open reach network I would say your expectations of a speed improvement are next to nil. All you have done is change named suppliers who are both using the same infrastructure.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, I forgot to explain properly. It's not just a case of simply changing suppliers; the reason I was expecting better speeds is that I've gone from a mid-range package with Sky (equivalent to "Fab Fibre") to the top-of-the-range package with Now TV ("Super Fibre").

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to explain properly. It's not just a case of simply changing suppliers; the reason I was expecting better speeds is that I've gone from a mid-range package with Sky (equivalent to "Fab Fibre") to the top-of-the-range package with Now TV ("Super Fibre").

As I said before Sky & Now Tv piggyback on Open Reach what they say you get and what you actually get are two different things.Try running a speed test using (speedtest.net) but run it a staggered times across the day. Keep a note of the results that way you can check if the line to your house is over subscribed.