cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cookies Settings

How/where do you change the Cookies Settings on NowTv (not the website). I have a stick. Cannot find it anywhere... Would appreciate more transparency and ease of access to settings.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cookies are a function of browsers, I doubt they are used on streaming sticks. What problem are you trying to cure?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Is this the same question in another linked thread below you are asking or something different ?

I haven't used my NOW Stick or NOW Box recently, but this thread i have linked below is the first time i have ever heard about the cookies message on the NOW branded devices.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Cookie-consent/m-p/579597#M8587 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I fired up my NOW Stick this morning and forced a software update.

Then after the software loaded i was greeted with the Cookies message .

The Cookies settings can be found at the bottom of the NOW home screen page, bottom grid horizontal row last tile box to the far right on the NOW Stick / NOW Box.

I didn't check what Cookies Settings option you have if any myself and i just accepted the message on the screen by clicking the accept Cookies option.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have just noticed there is a Cookies Settings tile box on the bottom grid row on my Roku Stick + NOW App.

Though when i click on it, all i get is a blank screen.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Likewise on my Roku Express, the entry is present, and goes to a blank screen, though the entry is not (yet?)  on the native app on my 2020 LG Nano TV.

But Now wouldn’t introduce a new feature without putting it in the Help, surely?

So I look up Cookies on the Help, and I get one hit, ‘Why can’t I find the show I want?’, but I can’t find any mention of Cookies in it.

(Initially, I looked up ‘Cookies Settings’, but the Now Search is still making the elementary mistake of putting ‘or’ between the search words instead of ‘and’, the mistake that killed off most of the early search engines and let Google reign supreme, so I got a lot of valueless hits on ‘Settings’).

This all really takes the biscuit, doesn’t it?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I knew that Sky and Now (and other streaming services) were showing "targeted" ads, but I wasn't aware of exactly how they were doing it. I suspect they are just calling them cookies as they serve the same purpose as the cookies used on a browser. All You Need to Know About Internet Cookies and How to Manage Them

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

But Now isn’t stateless, like a browser is.

So what would Now need to store about me on my device that they couldn’t store about me centrally?

And even if they did that, wouldn’t it fragment my experience as I moved from device to device?

So Now on my phone would be showing me ads for tractors, while Now on my TV would be showing me completely different ones?

Except I have Boost; I wonder if that is why @schnapps and I are seeing blank screens there? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

@Anonymous User 

So what would Now need to store about me on my device that they couldn’t store about me centrally?

Good question, hadn't thought about that.😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Cookies Settings on my Roku Stick Plus is now accessible where it looks like only Performance Cookies that you have the option to tick Consent On or Off.